Engel Mt45 Refer/freezer

K6ON

Old & Soft
A couple weeks ago I stumbled on an new 'scratch-n-dent" Engel MT45 on eBay. I won the bid and it arrived yesterday. It is brand new, has one very minor dent, and works perfectly. I guess I wasn't really ready for the size
of the thing..It's huge. Can any of you Engel owners let me know where you keep yours in your FWC?? It weighs over 50lbs empty and will be very heavy full, so taking it in and out of the camper isn't really an option. The back seat of the truck is dog territory and I'm sure she doesn't want to share space with a big cooler. Any Ideas?? THANKS!!

I have an idea.

Attachments

• trailer.gif
    trailer.gif
    19 KB · Views: 1,030
Measure it and post the dimentions.

We have a gas refrigerator with a freezing compartment that works well. We had icecream for one of our camping friends' birthday party in the remote out back. It made the birthday more special.

We are icebox people from way back, but our gas refrigerator has made a believer of us. If possible, install your unit properly and you will be glad to have it. (Indeed, they are heavy.)

Looked it up on the internet; Dimentions 25.5" x 14.3" x 20", power consumption on 12V is 2.5A. I see now what your concern is. You will have to load in an out as needed because it is not made to install. I am curious. How long does it take to make frost from scratch when connected to 12V? Does it make ice cubes and how long does it take?

Deltarat:
I have the ARB version. Do love it. I put mine in one of two locations. I have a hawk shell, so a bit more room. Often, it goes in the front of the camper on the floor right below the slidiing window. It is close to the outlet for power, and it just stays there. I use it as a little table when I am on the couch. I sleep up on the bed, so don't use the couch for a bed at night.

Sometimes, will put it in the backseat of the truck. i can still reach it from the sliding window and often prefer this if I need more room in the camper. does cramp the back seat. If you have dog, might be a problem. Or, just put it off to one side of the back seat, depending on size of dog.

You are right, too heavy to move around. I like the basket, just leave the fridge, and take the basket into the house to load or unload. I usually turn it on the night before to cool her down.

Making ice, well, I never timed it, but have had ice in less than 6 hours from turn on to ice. Depends on ambient temp and what you dial in the settings at.

Good luck.

dave

MT-45 Found it's Home..I think

The pictures show where I think it's going to live. Right now, It's just sitting on a 4x4 to
determine location, that will soon change. Looks like I'll have to shorten the cushion and cut down plywood over the storage area and build a shelf for it to sit on. For access to the turnbuckle, it looks like I'll just have to move the fridge, but that's only a couple times a year so should not be too big of a pain. Comments? ..Thanks..

Attachments

• DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,103
  • DSC01215.jpg
    DSC01215.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,101
Deltarat:

You could elevate the fridge, put some storage under it, and have the top level with your counter. That would give you more workspace and some storage underneath. Might want to use the quick releave bracket that they have (can't remember the actual name) but it makes it much more secure that way but is still easy to remove when you want.

Let us know what you eventually decide.

Dave in seattle

Looks like an ideal spot to me, if I had that area in the Eagle I'd be shopping for one. Another case of Grandby envy. Keep us posted.

engle placement

That's where i ended putting mine,started off with it on platform behind the drivers front seat but was not handy when in camper.
What you might consider is not to raise it up but keep low so you can still get in frig when top is down!,i just un hook lid then slid off lid,even with top down can remove items with no problem.
Just my 5 cents worth(inflation!)
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les & Virginia, Lqhikers

Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the suggestions. Attached is what I did this morning. Built a raised shelf mounted on 2X4's that's hinged. The shelf is 3/4' marine plywood (that's what I had) covered with Oak contact paper. The shelf will fold up against the wall out of the way when not in use. I can get the cushion under the shelf out with the Engel installed by lifting and sliding it to the right. I used to use that space for storing my sleeping bag and pillow. I discovered I can still use the space by sliding the pillow next to the Engel and folding the sleeping bag and sliding it under the shelf. I'll be ordering the Engel hold down kit Monday and installation should be complete...Thanks Again

Attachments

• DSC01216.jpg
    DSC01216.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 992
  • DSC01217.jpg
    DSC01217.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,014
  • DSC01218.jpg
    DSC01218.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • DSC01219.jpg
    DSC01219.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 992
Looks Good!

Deltarat, you do nice work.

Many like doing away with propane, so that is a plus.

Having a refrigerator in the camper makes it easier to transition from house to camper by taking left over food from the home refrigerator on the camping trip. Same goes when we arrive back home.

This is convenient and saves money.

Looks good!

Many like doing away with propane, so that is a plus.

Having a refrigerator in the camper makes it easier to transition from house to camper by taking left over food from the home refrigerator on the camping trip. Same goes when we arrive back home.

This is convenient and saves money.

Although it looks like a good fit, i would reconsider the storage position of your pillow. If I understand correctly the engel uses the case to cool.

Deltarat have you tested how long you can run your Engel for? are you using one or two batteries or a generator?

Similar question

I just bought a Dometic RC2000 3way portable frig off of Craigslist for $80.

You can make ICE? That's incredible. Does it have separate freezer and refrigerator spaces? How much was it? The Dometic is neat but I'll still have to carry an ice chest for beer because it just doesn't get cold enough.
:confused:

I'm looking forward to hearing from different folks who have different portable friges. Does anyone have a Dometic or know how to get it colder? Mine is at the coldest setting.

Thanks, CB

I've never sat still long enough to test how long it will run on the two grp 31's in the camper..Two days is the longest I've been in one place without shore power, and the batteries held up fine. It seems to run for about 10-15 minutes an hour. If I put it in freezer mode, it runs a bit longer, but makes ice with no problem. Had it in that mode on the DV rally, and kept beer and non frozen foods in a cooler, I added ice from the Engel twice in the few days we were out. BTW, I carry a small 1KW Yamaha generator in the camper, but have yet to need it.

Deltarat have you tested how long you can run your Engel for? are you using one or two batteries or a generator?

I have an engel 45 and on a Moab trip last April we stayed 2 days in canyonlands/BLM and the jeep started fine. Thats the longest I'd want to go on the 1 battery setup I have. Redtop optima stock sized jeep tj battery.

Back
Top Bottom