Engel/Norcold users answer up

Star152

I picked up a Norcold freezer/fridge for 395.00 on ebay used and it works great. But it created more questions. For example can the Norcold be plugged in while driving? The manual states to unplug when charging. So will damage occur when driving the truck and it is charging the camper batteries.

I currently run 2 batteries in parallel so is it better to keep this set up or separate the batteries and switch from one while charging the other battery? I want to add a solar panel in the future.

What do the rest of you do?

Seems I have never isolated my arb 45. when in he camper iit is inline with the battery. It is a second battery and is isolate from the main engne battery, I have been running this for years. No problem unless the battery is really down, then I just unplug or a lttle while unil it gets ome charge.

Never really worried about. it.. Nice to have cold frosty beverages, though!

good luck

dave

I doubt you need to seperate the batteries.

If you drain your batteries so low that the engine cranks slowly or runs rough once it's started, I wouldn't plug in the refrigerator until the batteries have recovered some. Otherwise, I don't think you'll have a problem.

I had an Igloo 12V refrigerator with a pretty high current draw - enough to kill the battery in my Toyota within 2 hours. However, I would start the truck, plug in the refrigerator and drive away with out any problems.

My Engle lives in the camper full time with solar panels charging the camper batteries every day. I have used the truck to charge the batteries while driving a couple of times on cloudy days. This setup has been working for 3 years now with no problems.

I have an Engel 45 in the jeep and never unplug it on a trip. Never had a problem in 3 years.

My Engle lives in the camper full time with solar panels charging the camper batteries every day. I have used the truck to charge the batteries while driving a couple of times on cloudy days. This setup has been working for 3 years now with no problems.

Where in the camper does it live?

It sits in the aisle, cross-wise in the front. I have a shell, the full campers have a bench there with the water tank underneath. It JUST fits between the couch and left side wall. I hold it down with an old seatbelt bolted to through the walls down low at the front.

I have added batteries under the couch in front. I cut the power cord and hard wired it into a fuse block under the couch. It makes for a short wire run, and I had problems with the lighter socket and plug when I used it in my Jeep.

Back
Top Bottom