Entry door window issue

crashmaster

Advanced Member
On my 2018 Hawk I just noticed on the entry door that the window slid down and has a big gap at the top. Possibly from the sealant being heated up from the sun?

I will call FWC but in the mean time has anyone experienced this and have a good fix?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5167.jpeg
    IMG_5167.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 78
Thank you Vic, I appreciate the links! Apparently a common issue.

FWC called back and are sending a replacement window frame, $35 plus shipping. I will also used the RTV, or silicone and maybe fab up some rubber stoppers to use inside the frame.

Mine did the same thing. I disassembled the window frame cleaned the old sealant reinstalled and all is good 5 years later. Try fixing the old one before spending on a new window unit. Use a good quality silicone.

Timely…I have the same issue with the door window in our motorhome. I’ve taken that beast down some “interesting” roads so vibration and old adhesive makes complete sense. Thanks!

I received the new frame and window from FWC. The newer design appears to be improvement from the old one as it has full plastic piece formed all around the window instead of just small plastic tabs.

Attachments

• IMG_5200.jpg
    IMG_5200.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 73
Saw this older post about the ongoing rear window issues. All the tabs finally broke on mine so I’m beyond temp fixes and need a new frame. Called FWC about getting the ‘new improved’ version and was told that it wasn’t really much of an improvement because the two halves just snap together rather than the old screw style, so it can never be taken apart again.

Is the new style any better, or should I just get the old style (cheap and available locally) and beef it up with silicone and foam blocks?
Curious to hear what others are doing these days

Thanks,
Tom

Tom n N said:
Saw this older post about the ongoing rear window issues. All the tabs finally broke on mine so I’m beyond temp fixes and need a new frame. Called FWC about getting the ‘new improved’ version and was told that it wasn’t ready much of an improvement because the two halves just snap together rather than the old screw style, so it can never be taken apart again.

Is the new style any better, or should I just get the old style (cheap and available locally) and beef it up with silicone and foam blocks?
Curious to hear what others are doing these days

Thanks,
Tom
I would go with old style that can be disassembled.

I have the AP version of shade window as of this past summer. It seems to fit and adhere at least as well as the FWC original, but I haven't tested it yet in rugged dusty conditions.
Rico

Attachments

• ap_thin_shade.jpg
    ap_thin_shade.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 32
We have those windows in our hard shell camper. The only problem I’ve seen is the sliding shade folding improperly if you rush pushing it up. Because of the screen door, you need to be outside the open door when you raise or lower the shade.

in general… I do like them.

Vic Harder said:
there are some plastic supports in the door that have broken, allowing the window to slide down. Several possible fixes, and previous discussions here
site:www.wanderthewest.com door window sliding down - Google Search
I think most of us with FWCs that have been on rough roads, etc. over the years had this issue. My resolution was to take the frame off and as Vic noted the tabs had broken on the bottom. The fix for me was to rotate the frame 180 degrees as the tabs on the top we fine :) I wish I had pictures but sold the old Eagle a while back. I also reinforced the tabs somehow but don't remember how. Looks like the new frame is made a bit more rugged!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We have those windows in our hard shell camper. The only problem I’ve seen is the sliding shade folding improperly if you rush pushing it up. Because of the screen door, you need to be outside the open door when you raise or lower the shade.

in general… I do like them.
I wish I'd gotten the screen door but because I don't have one at least the sliding shade is easily accessible :)

We ditched the curtains. I mounted a 1" x 1/8" x18" Al bar above the door with metal clips mounted to the bar. To block the sun or for privacy, we hang a shirt or jacket. Never did make sense to have to open the door to adjust the curtains.

Back
Top Bottom