Even More Solar Questions

bsharp007

My 90 watt solar panel, stock FWC lasts for a couple of days in good sun. The main draw from the 2 Excide 70 amp batteries is a 2 way compressor 80 liter Waeco fridge. I added the Morningstar monitor to keep a better eye on the system. And I'm planning on adding another 80 watt or so panel up top. Since the stock solar controller could only handle 6 amps I also changed it for the Morningstar mppt 15 amp in anticipation of the new panel. I attached a couple of pictures.
My main question is how to add another panel, do I just spice into the current panel? What kind connectors should I use? I'm obviously not an expert on electrical stuff. And finally any recomendation for a panel?
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG

I had the same problem with my 100w panel not keeping up with the fridge. Prior to my last Baja trip I picked up a second light weight flexible 100w panel that I hung on the side of the camper and that solved the problem. I wired it in parallel with the first panel using 30 feet of 12 gauge low voltage wire so I can move it for the best sun exposure.

If you're hard mounting yours to the roof then you can tie it in to the existing panel wiring. Since you're using the Morningstar MPPT controller you can connect it either in series or parallel. The 24v series connection will probably be more efficient.

I've been reading up a little on wiring in series vs. parallel. I'm wondering if there is an advantage to one or the other. One gives you more amps and the other gives you more volts I think.
What kind of connections are people using to connect their two panels on the roof?

I had the same experience with my system in Baja, couldn't quite keep up with the fridge. It's possible that having two kayaks on the roof might have had something to do with it. All this has led me down the road of trying to get more juice in the batteries so I dont't have to worry about it. Halfway there now.

I've been reading up a little on wiring in series vs. parallel. I'm wondering if there is an advantage to one or the other. One gives you more amps and the other gives you more volts I think.

What kind of connections are people using to connect their two panels on the roof?
Most people don't have two panels...but a few "more-is-better" folks like me do. :p
And mine are wired in series.

If wired in series you HAVE TO use an MPPT charge controller, as you have, because in series adds together the voltage of both panels. And only an MPPT charge controller can make use of the ~35 volts that will result.
But you need to make sure that your charge controller specs say that it can handle the input voltage of two panels in series...and make sure that the specs can handle the increased current that results once the MPPT does it's voltage-to-current-conversion thing.

I have mine in series because that way I can use the existing OEM roof-wiring that came in my FWC without worrying if that wire gauge can handle the current -- since in series the voltage is added together but not the current.
And because I already had an MPPT controller.

I'm not sure...but seems like I remember reading that the two panels should be very similar/identical for this to work best, be most efficient. In my case they are identical (spec-wise), so I didn't have to worry about it.

One downside to in-series is that the combination is more-prone to the problem of shade falling on the panels. That is, shade on one can reduce the output of both of them. In parallel they're independent.
As a desert rat, mostly, I don't camp much in places where shade is even available, so the shade problem is usually not a worry for me. When I am in shade I'm usually at the Oregon coast and I'm in a state park with 120-volt hook-up, so when I'm in that deep, dark, shady environment I'm not relying on my solar system.
But...if I had to do it over I might consider doing it in parallel, even if I had to increase the roof-to-controller wire size to handle double-the-current -- just to reduce the shade effect.

Links about the effect of shade:
Solar Oregon
Renewable Energy World
Solar Choice

If you get one of the portable panels from solar blvd it comes with a charge controller so that makes easy, just parallel it (mine goes directly to the battery) and you're done. I'm not the desert rat so I really like being able to orient a panel manually.

Back
Top Bottom