Experience with newer Ram suspension & death wobbles?

bluffwandering

I was told by a RV sales person that they refuse to sell and install hard-sided truck bed campers into the new generation Ram 1500 & 2500. He had words of caution for installing the pop-up style campers. His reasoning in that they have had too many customers return with report of death wobbles on the highway due to the coil-over suspension.

Has anyone had this experience? we were seriously considering a RAM 2500 paired with a loaded hawk before this.

My unfounded suspicion is that a pop up would be fine because of the lower center of gravity when compared with a true hard side camper. It will be interesting to hear what Ram owners have to say.

Death wobble is a real thing on all solid axle trucks. I can see where someone might have a truck that does NOT wobble until the weight load and distribution changes, and then BOOM, they experience wobble and blame the RV reseller. No fun dealing with those complaints!

I can only say from my experience of owning a '97 Ram 2500 and my current 2000 Ram 2000, I have not experienced any death wobble with either of them. The '97 had a FWC Grandby and loaded up, sat right around 8600 lbs. My 2000 has a Northstar TC800 and will be a few hundred lbs. over the 8800 lbs GVWR.

Both of these trucks are 4x4, extended cab, long bed trucks. My guess is folks having issues with death wobble after putting a hardside/popup camper on, likely are short bed trucks with campers that have a lot of weight behind the axle. The more weight you end up with behind the axle, it lightens the front loading on the axle and in turn, likely will cause a death wobble.

IMHO 1/2 ton and lighter duty trucks, should not have any type of slide in camper. They are just not designed for that use. I am also not a big fan of short bed/short wheel base truck with slide in's. It typically puts too much weight behind the axle, which is bad for handling/safety. I believe in the "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should" mantra.

As for the modern Rams, I think a lot of them are running rear coil springs, so I don't have any experience with them. Both of my Rams use leaf springs.

Buy the right truck, for the right camper and you will be good. Figure out your camper first, buy your truck to match. Too many do it the other way around and find they bought the wrong truck.

Putting a bunch of weight in the bed causes the rear suspension to compress, increasing the effective caster angle of the front suspension. This combined with any looseness of the suspension or steering joints will increase the likelihood of steering instability. It’s not really camper-related - it’s load-related.

2016 Ram 2500 CTD and then a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4L Big Horn. Loaded Hawk pretty much full time in truck(s). Never experienced anything but solid steering.

Mind you, if JHanson has a contrary opinion, I'd listen to him.

Both of these trucks are 4x4, extended cab, long bed trucks. My guess is folks having issues with death wobble after putting a hardside/popup camper on, likely are short bed trucks with campers that have a lot of weight behind the axle. The more weight you end up with behind the axle, it lightens the front loading on the axle and in turn, likely will cause a death wobble.
2001 Cummins 2500 short bed with leaf springs and air bags and a Hawk shell: no death wobble, Ram doesn't even know the camper's hitchin a ride on the flatbed. Short beds are not the issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom