Experiences and first road trip with the Bobcat

Jeromelo

Advanced Member
I bought a 2014 Bobcat shell with furnace, front battery storage that slides out for second bed. I built up the bottom 2-1/4" to get the 1/2" off the sides of 2017 Chevy Colorado crew cab short bed Diesel. After dropping the camper on the bed of the truck I'm a bit over 3/4" above rails in the front of truck and a bit less than 1/4" on the back. I took the trip as is and will adjust bottom as to get it more in sync. Running the electronics was predictable and didn't give too much trouble. Turnbuckles needed one adjustment after my first stop and held secure without any additional intervention.

I took the camper cross country to visit family (Utah to Michigan) Average gas mileage was a little over 19mpg taking into consideration 75% of the ride back was heading into major head/cross winds.

My only issue was figuring out where the tapping noise was coming from when there was x-way washboards. It ended up being the antenna on the roof tapping the top of the camper. I took it off and noise was gone.

I'm very happy with how the camper performed on the road. I started out at 65 mph and segued to 75mph. I certainly felt the load but felt safe at that speed. I laid off the accelerator in bad road conditions and turns. Going thru WY on the way back there was 60-70 mile cross wind and some black ice. I had no issues and was able to keep up with the already slowed traffic. I'm amazed at how stable the rig is with extreme cross winds.

My camper weights approx. 900lb as equipped. With gear and my weight I was tugging approx. 1300lbs. I distributed extra gear in the front of the camper and non essentials in the back seat of the Colorado trying my best to equalize the load. I assumed I'd be installing air bags given the overhang of the Bobcat on my short bed, but I don't think I'm going to have to worry about it. I'm sure if I had a fully loaded camper I would be installing air bags and e rated tires. Right now I'm in the watch and wait mode since the truck handled remarkably well in the present circumstance.

Nights over the trip averaged in the teens. I kept the camper at 45 degrees (cozy given the comforter, sleeping bag combo) I started out 80% full (20lb. tank) and ended the trip with about 25% left after 9 nights in the camper with no cold weather pack.

All in all a complete success. I made most of my meals/coffee in the camper with no issues.

24296727_10213552608203896_6467263927839430821_n (2).jpg

I really like those Colorados, looks like a great setup. Keep it light.

Reminds me of my first truck camper with the rear overhang...

20070609010-M.jpg

It worked out very well for me. Congratulations and enjoy the new camper!

Jeromelo, I’m curious why you went with the short bed. I believe you can get a 6’ or 6.5’ bed with the crew cab Colorado, and I’m considering going that way in the next year or so.

Wandering Sagebrush. Several reasons...the most important one being the long bed would not fit in my garage. This truck is going to be babied and probably my last truck. The work truck is a 2004 Silverado 2500HD crew cab with 8" foot bed when I need something longer. It's in very good shape and the least important reason my gal wanted me to get the short box and she's going to be sharing the drive with the new setup...something she won't do with the big truck trailer set-up.

Back
Top Bottom