Exploring East Of Lassen

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We were looking at the photos of Mr Johnson's first and second FWC's and were really impressed. One by the Susan River looked pretty and we decided to explore the area.
Mr Johnson's rig on the Susan River:
gallery_176_99_270214.jpg

Our spot on the Susan River:
gallery_176_99_959067.jpg

Yes, we found his exact campsite. We didn't realize it until we looked at his photo again. With more time to explore the next day, we checked out several sites along the river and moved to another for the next couple of nights.
gallery_176_99_27341.jpg

This site was quite large and could fit a half dozen rigs if we ever want to do a rally in this area.

These campsites are located along the road to Silver Lake in Lassen National Forest. We went up to Silver Lake. There are two small campgrounds near the lake and a number of cabins on the lake. You can launch small powered boats here. We watched several Osprey catching fish.
Silver Lake.
gallery_176_99_110328.jpg

Very close by is Caribou Lake. This is a smaller lake and a couple of people were boondocking here. One spot was across the dam and the other just drove along the shoreline to a spot. More Osprey here as well. This is also a trailhead into the Caribou Wilderness.
Caribou Lake.
gallery_176_99_89980.jpg

The next day we drove around the area. We visited the lookout on Antelope Peak. You could see Lassen Peak, Shasta Peak, and Eagle Lake, or what is left of Eagle Lake. It is so low it is almost two seperate lakes now.
Lassen from Antelope Peak.
gallery_176_99_53148.jpg

On Monday we drove into the Warner Valley area of Lassen Volcanic NP. We hiked here but didn't find any good spots in the campground. Drove over to Juniper Lake where we were able to get a spot on the lake. There were only six sites taken that night. We stopped by here in July and the mosquitos were horrible. It is late enough in the season now where we didn't see a single one. Big improvement!
Juniper Lake.
gallery_176_99_39363.jpg

The campgrounds around Silver Lake were not full even on Labor Day weekend. This is a good area to get away from the crowds. We will probably do more exploring around here in the future.

Great report Ted,

Our trip for this weekend got canceled by some last minute work but we plan to take advantage of every weekend here as summer turns to fall so this place is on our list, there is so much to explore out there.

Rich

Wonderful report Ted and nice pics. Great to see full size pictures embedded in your post too. Guess the gallery is the way to go. I've yet to post a pic on the "new" forum. Thanks.

Wonderful report Ted and nice pics. Great to see full size pictures embedded in your post too. Guess the gallery is the way to go. I've yet to post a pic on the "new" forum. Thanks.

I hazard a guess that you will be posting some pics soon amigo..Nice report Ted

Thanks for the positive comments. Like others, I was getting frustrated trying to load photos with the new forum set-up. Finally found an easy way while doing this report. I created the gallery folder and loaded the photos straight from my computer into it. No changing the photo size or anything. Once the gallery was completed, I opened a second window of WTW and started my trip report. When I wanted to insert a photo, I went to the gallery and opened that photo. I copied the image address below the photo. Then I went back to the trip report and pasted the address in my text. No add image or anything like that - just copy and paste. Everything is automatically resized. Now that I figured it out, it really does seem easier than the old format forum.

Back
Top Bottom