Extended Bed Conversion?

CJ8Rockcrawler

Something that came up in discussion at the Pop up Bowl is the concept of converting the standard cab over bed to an extended bed. Is this something that is feasible to do? Perhaps a good time to do this would be when the "canvas" needs to be replaced anyway. How about a SUPER extended bed that actually covers the whole Quad Cab/Mega Cab/Crew cab etc. portion of the truck w/ NO slide out inside?

Thoughts?

Stan... any reasons why this won't work?

But, should it be done?

yer gonna have to replace the roof...

And the Super Bed would need some mechanized lift assist... And probably balast when removed.

But, on a huge cab like mine, the increased overhang would be a non issue and make the interior far more pleasant.

But, shouldn't someone try it out?

yer gonna have to replace the roof...

Yep, I figured that... replace or modify. I'm not sure which is easier. Obviously, the underside of the bed and the pop up "canvas" would need to modified or replaced as well.

I think lifting the roof in the rear would be a non issue and one could either lift the front or have to lay on the bed and essentially bench press the roof to pop the front up. That could prove interesting.

good question

after thinking about it for a few minutes, I don't think it would be worth it for most customers

we would not even attempt that here in our shop !

:eek:

it could be done, but not easily and not cost effectively

It would be a hugh project for even the best of them

I would say ... clean & detail your current camper, sell it off for top dollar, and then find a used camper that was built with the extended cab-over bed or have us build you a new camper

:)

Back
Top Bottom