Exterior Reflectix

m.r.h.

Does anyone put reflectix around the exterior pop up material to help keep things cool inside? Curious if it is worth the little extra time and money to make some covers to help keep things cool inside when parked for a few days.

I did this for many years when camped in a spot for more than a few days, it was an inexpensive approach to moderating both hot and cold temperatures. The only issue I ran into was getting the wrap to install in breezy weather. I kept it simple: one continuous roll of reflectix with slit-openings for the vinyl windows, and heavy duty velcro overlapped where the ends meet above the camper door. Did I mention the adverse effect of breezes?
Rico.

Attachments

• refectix_wrap (1).jpg
    refectix_wrap (1).jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 175
  • refectix_wrap (2).jpg
    refectix_wrap (2).jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 166
Someone else did this with a long bungee holding it in place. Keep in mind reflectix isn't very uv resistant.

RicoV said:
I did this for many years when camped in a spot for more than a few days, it was an inexpensive approach to moderating both hot and cold temperatures. The only issue I ran into was getting the wrap to install in breezy weather. I kept it simple: one continuous roll of reflectix with slit-openings for the vinyl windows, and heavy duty velcro overlapped where the ends meet above the camper door. Did I mention the adverse effect of breezes?
Rico.

Very tidy job! Good on ya....no doubt it will help in high radiant heat....

Ps...just noticed, why the bungee cord? And what appears to be wooden molding along top sheet?

The bungee would help to limit a breeze from worming its way behind the wrap and stirring things up with windows exposed, and the molding is just a thin strip of rain gutter to divert the camper's roof drip away from the truck cab doors vicinity. And yeah, you could say that the overall look is kinda sleek, heh.
Rico.

Part of staying cool is good ventilation. I took aluminum poles from an old tent and fashioned a window awning. There is no sun on the side fabric or through the window and a nice breeze can flow through windows on both sides. All connections utilize existing screws. Key is to remembering to attach the highest connections BEFORE we raise the top ;-)

We only bother on really warm days. Obviously, not for cold weather, but really helps when it's sunny and hot.

Attachments

• IMG_20210918_142510208_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210918_142510208_HDR.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20230208_135801.jpg
    20230208_135801.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230208_135548.jpg
    20230208_135548.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230208_135623.jpg
    20230208_135623.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 100
I read where someone that did this in cold weather found that in changed the trapped air pocket from the inside to the outside of the camper fabric. So, at night all the condensation formed between the exterior fabric and the reflectix, rather than on the inside of the camper. I don't know from personal experience if this is the case. But if it is, it is a definite bonus.

Years ago I inserted Reflectix between the FWC thermal liner and the exterior vinyl as a test. (The 24" width fit perfectly at least in my 2018 Grandby Flatbed model.) I cut flaps for the windows and a slot for the shock cord to go through.

Due to basic inertia that "test" Reflectix is still there. I THINK it helps but it is all very subjective... :unsure:

Durango1 said:
Years ago I inserted Reflectix between the FWC thermal liner and the exterior vinyl as a test. (The 24" width fit perfectly at least in my 2018 Grandby Flatbed model.) I cut flaps for the windows and a slot for the shock cord to go through.

Due to basic inertia that "test" Reflectix is still there. I THINK it helps but it is all very subjective... :unsure:

I like this idea. Does the Reflectix stay the in when you “pop Down”?

Cpt Davenport said:
I like this idea. Does the Reflectix stay the in when you “pop Down”?
Yep. The roof needs a gentle pull to bring it down for clipping but works well.

I have material for, but have not yet installed, a snap on canvas exterior surround to hang over the vinyl siding material with a pocket to hold reflextix. Window panels can be opened. Local canvas maker agreed to sew the canvas to my measurements taken off of my camper.

I believe that it would function the same and the canvas would protect the relectix from wind and snags.

Is till have other projects higher on my long to do list list but it is getting closer to the top. ;-)

Since Reflectix is a radiant barrier, I would think the first application—around the outside—would be the most effective at preventing heat from radiating into the interior. Much less so under the fabric, especially since it's not much of a barrier to conductive heat. In general it's used with an air gap, like inside attics beneath the insulation.

CreekRob,

Indeed there is a lot of marketing hype around Reflectix. As I have discussed on this forum previously (years ago) the radiant barrier is of little use in terrestrial applications. In air convection dominates (unless there is a conductive path through conductive materials). It is the bubble pack part of Reflectix that provides the little bit of insulation and importantly helps maintain and slightly increase an insulating air gap between the canvas and the side of the camper. I have regular bubble pack and Reflectix and the Reflectix seems to be a little bit more robust so that is why I am using it.

As has been observed, it is better to have this insulating layer and vapor barrier on the exterior of the vinyl pop up material as any moisture will tend to condense there rather than on the interior surface of the vinyl pop up siding. It may not eliminate it in all situations however.

Thanks for all the replies and thought on this. Work all of the sudden really got in the way and I haven’t purchased and materials to work on this project, yet. Temps have also stayed in just the double digits so I haven’t felt like my camper has become an oven yet.

I made a Reflectix barrier for the interior of my Bundutec popup thats attached with velcro top and bottom. In really cold temperatures, it probably adds 10-5 degrees to inside temp so the furnace works less. In hot weather, it definitely keeps the interior cooler and on windy days, minimizes the fabric flapping. It didn't work well installed raising and lowering the roof so I have it in sections and lay it on bed when not in use.

ckent323 said:
As has been observed, it is better to have this insulating layer and vapor barrier on the exterior of the vinyl pop up material as any moisture will tend to condense there rather than on the interior surface of the vinyl pop up siding. It may not eliminate it in all situations however.
That's a great idea. I have a layer of reflectix on the inside of the thermal pack which does help and acts as a little bit of blackout material to keep the light down in morning. I would like to also add a layer on the exterior. Perhaps I can use snaps/buttons the the exterior using any existing screws and snap it on. That might help with wind as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom