External Fly rod case

5 Speed

Advanced Member
Have to keep those fly rods for fast easy access and out of the way plus I always keep an umbrella or two up there just in case. I just got a simple vinyl fence post and made two wood plugs for the ends and it works fantastic, small locks keep the plugs from flying off more than anything. I did put a few T-nuts through the bed and reinforced the inside of the tube with a piece of angle of aluminum so the screws don’t pull through. I purchased an additional piece of the fence post material and have been contemplating making a air dam. Just cut it in the center and angle it back to the case, what do you think?

Attachments

• Fishing1.jpg
    Fishing1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 637
  • Fishing2.jpg
    Fishing2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 653
Fly Rod Case

Wow, great idea. We just might steal that one from you if you don't mind. I like it and it looks good.

I would be honored, go for it. I looked at using a PVC or ABS tube like I see on a lot of work trucks but was told not to because of UV breakdown over time. The vinyl posts will not brake down with UV exposure and they are square = more space. They now carry the posts at Lowes. I looked at the end caps they sell but couldn't figure out how to make the plugs easly removeable and lockable. My end plugs are actually two layers of 5/8" plywood so they stay in place with the clasp.

I wish you guys were around when we purchased our camper, I know we would have purchased our camper from you!

5 speed

Thank you. I really like the idea and it is a great solution for rods. Will take a look at the posts here locally and see what they have. I also have an idea for using a stock cap on them. Will just have to get one and try it.

Thanks again for the idea.

What are the dimensions? I looked at that and said to myself "nah, I don't have that much room" but I broke out the tape measure anyway and sure enough, I do have 5" to play with.

Great use of space

I've often looked at that location and wondered how I could use that space. Great idea! Thanks.

Great rod carrier! But the important question Erod is, well, where do you fish?
I try to get to Lewiston/Trinity River in the Fall... Manzanita Lake is calling to me now...

Art
'86 Blazer

lewiston is great, used to work in big timber (not that close), crazy mtns are awesome, where do you drive from?. there is a ton of fishing around here as you know...caddis hatch (i think) this weekend in misoula! oh, where do i fish, well if i told you that....:)

Great rod carrier! But the important question Erod is, well, where do you fish?
I try to get to Lewiston/Trinity River in the Fall... Manzanita Lake is calling to me now...

Art
'86 Blazer

I fish on the Upper Madison, Gallatin, Boulder and other small streams with my brother in and around Bozeman Mt

yea, great fishing all around, just got back from daily lake, guy pulled out some big trout...ennis, hebgen, smith...pretty much endless...to be completley honest...i don't do that uch fishing:D !

Back
Top Bottom