External TorkLift Camper Tie Down

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
Is anyone using frame mounted TorkLift tie downs to secure their popup camper?

I don’t want to drill through the aluminum truck bed, so looking for the best way to connect my TorkLift FastGuns to the ATC jack mounts. At the moment, I’m thinking of a couple of carabiners. If you have pictures, they would be greatly appreciated. :)

I use them on the outside of the camper, just drilled an extra hole (1/2") in the flange for the jacks and put the hook through that hole. Bottom hook goes through the frame mount. For the rear, I added my own piece of angle steel to the frame near the bumper and have a chain, quick link, and turnbuckle to tighten it down.

Howdy

I have to think the energy exerted at the wrong angle and the wrong location will not only damage the frame of your camper but also do a spongy job of securing the camper to the bed of your truck.

Do you want the fast guns to make removal quicker or easier ?

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

I have to think the energy exerted at the wrong angle and the wrong location will not only damage the frame of your camper but also do a spongy job of securing the camper to the bed of your truck.

Do you want the fast guns to make removal quicker or easier ?

David Graves
The answer is… yes. I’m not going to take the truck into extreme terrain, and since I own a set of FastGuns for my hard side camper, why not put them to use. If I find the Cougar moves around, I’ll build bed guides to keep it in place.

That said, I’m curious if others using external style tie downs have experienced camper damage due to the changes in mounting forces. When (ATC) about it, he didn’t seemed concerned.

I have a 2002 tundra and an older Hallmark Milner. I do use the Torklift tiedowns with Derringers as Vic mentioned. It seems to work well for me, and I do take the rig on some pretty rough 4WD roads here in Colorado.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom