Factory Rear Lights Question

A question on the FWC factory rear lights, where is the switch located? In the camper, or in the truck cab?

Thanks!

The switch il mounted just inside the door under the refer. I guess it was put there so you can reach if with the door open without climbing in the camper.

The only down side is if you pull something bulky....such as a backpack....past the switch it can sometimes be turned on accidentally. You'd notice that immediately at night....but maybe not during the daylight hours. I've accidentally turned mine on a couple of times. Once it ran the camper battery dead.

I need to think about putting in a second switch somewhere to prevent that from happening. Always something else to do.

Your question leads me to think you may be thinking that the lights on the camper may be used as backup lights. You can use them for this, but you have to go back to the camper to turn them on. They are not wired up to the truck, but it sure would be handy if they were.
BX

Your question leads me to think you may be thinking that the lights on the camper may be used as backup lights. You can use them for this, but you have to go back to the camper to turn them on. They are not wired up to the truck, but it sure would be handy if they were.
BX

Yes. I have an ARB backup light on the rig now, and I am trying to decide if I want a cab controlled light for backing up, or a camper controlled lights.

Yes. I have an ARB backup light on the rig now, and I am trying to decide if I want a cab controlled light for backing up, or a camper controlled lights.

I have had the same thoughts (wanting to be able to control the rear floods from the cab). It really should not be that hard to make that possible and is one of the mods I am planning for this winter.....just need to wire a switch in before the one in the camper. Mine is located below where the fridge is.

Cort

They really aren't aimed all that well for using as backup lights. I use separate lights for my backup lights.

rubbberlight.jpg

bumpstepSmall.jpg

Those light up to the sides of the camper which is what you really need to see.

The switch il mounted just inside the door under the refer. I guess it was put there so you can reach if with the door open without climbing in the camper.

The only down side is if you pull something bulky....such as a backpack....past the switch it can sometimes be turned on accidentally. You'd notice that immediately at night....but maybe not during the daylight hours. I've accidentally turned mine on a couple of times. Once it ran the camper battery dead.

I need to think about putting in a second switch somewhere to prevent that from happening. Always something else to do.

I had this problem earlier this year. I must have kicked the switch getting out in the morning and didn't discover it until later that afternoon. The batteries were down so I had to fire up the CTD generator to recharge. DD would have loved it.

When i got home I solved the problem by drilling a small hole through the rocker and installing a removable lock out pin.

One of my switches is next to the couch and can get hit easily, I just keep a piece of duct tape over the rocker when its depressed and "off".

They really aren't aimed all that well for using as backup lights. I use separate lights for my backup lights.

Do you have the floods on the bracket, if so you can angle them up/down however you want, I put a bolt/wing nut on mine for quick adjustment.

The floods are easily adjustable but you can't see directly behind you anyway. Normally when backing you're turning and that light doesn't do you much good. I'll try and take some night pics with backup lights to show you what I mean. Of course you already have the camper flood so of course you many as well use them.

When i got home I solved the problem by drilling a small hole through the rocker and installing a removable lock out pin.

camelracer,

Could you please take a picture of your set up? It sounds like the solution to me.

The floods are easily adjustable but you can't see directly behind you anyway. Normally when backing you're turning and that light doesn't do you much good. I'll try and take some night pics with backup lights to show you what I mean. Of course you already have the camper flood so of course you many as well use them.

I see. I've never really used the floods much so I haven't payed attention to how wide the shine.

camelracer,

Could you please take a picture of your set up? It sounds like the solution to me.

Leadsled9,

Here's a picture of the pinned switch. The switch pops out and is easy to drill. The pin is from OSH.

This is the setup in an '06 Granby. I'm not sure what years they used this switch.

Dick

Attachments

• 100_2883.jpg
    100_2883.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 145
Leadsled9,

Here's a picture of the pinned switch. The switch pops out and is easy to drill. The pin is from OSH.

This is the setup in an '06 Granby. I'm not sure what years they used this switch.

Dick

Thanks camelracer. That is the same switch that I have.

An alternative (and easier) way of using the rear flood lights (from truck, for backing) would be with a remote control switch. I found a thread somewhere else that used a remote control switch to turn on/off something, but cannot find the thread again. Anyway, I wrote down the name of the controller (Cyron RC2-12) and found it on Amazon. Ordered one to place in my camper flood light circuit. It is for 12v and up to 20a (240w). The flood lights are 55w each so should be no problem to use. I'll post more when I get it working. Lot of other possibilities for this remote switch controller.
BX

Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CYRON-RC2-12-12VDC-Off-Remote/dp/B001CX8DQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1291303663&sr=8-1
Cyron:
http://www.cyron.com/p-46-controller-12-v-on-off-remote-control.aspx

Could also use that to find your camper when you're stumbling back. Bet I can think of some other uses for that too.

Back
Top Bottom