Fall colors on the Minnesota North Shore

takesiteasy

We took a quick trip north to see the fall colors. Trip report is here: Fall Colors

Good thing we went when we did. Today finds 30 mph winds with snow and rain mixed in for the area we visited. Some parts of the state are getting over a foot of snow today. There won't be many leaves left after that system moves through. Fall is beautiful here but can be fleeting.

gallery_2966_407_936135.jpg

I was up in Ely last week putting a roof on my cabin. The colors are awesome, the weather was great. 30 at night and 60 -70 in the day time. Got to see a moose on the shore of birch lake having dinner. This week looks ugly up there.

I was up in Ely last week putting a roof on my cabin. The colors are awesome, the weather was great. 30 at night and 60 -70 in the day time. Got to see a moose on the shore of birch lake having dinner. This week looks ugly up there.

Sounds great. We saw deer of course, a fox and a pileated woodpecker- no moose though. In a few weeks, after they salt the roads a few times, the moose will be hanging out on the paved back roads licking the salt. Saw thirteen one year on one trip down the Gunflint Trail. Wouldn't want to hit one of those with the truck, that's for sure. Having a cabin near Ely must be nice! We only carry our cabin on our truck, haha.

All: there may have been a problem with the link to the blog- I think I fixed it but let me know if it doesn't work. Thanks.

The link works, I'm looking at it now, thanks! It sure brings back memories. And, what would a Midwest story be without walleye! Nice story and photos!

The link works, I'm looking at it now, thanks! It sure brings back memories. And, what would a Midwest story be without walleye! Nice story and photos!

Gotta have the walleye...

Yep, I can access your blog now, and I enjoyed it a lot. That's an area I know nothing about, so thanks for the trip report.

We live in the best part of the country, haha. You should make a trip here. We do get jealous of the great wide open spaces you guys have to explore out west, but we have lots of water here so maybe that balances things out.

Had the 2010 Grandby for three trips up north, but with a cabin the camper was a waste of Money. We have two atv's up there and trailer one atv and one XR650L Dual Sport. Northern Minnesota beats Wisconsin hand down. Awesome place to rest and relax! :)

Good thing we went when we did. Today finds 30 mph winds with snow and rain mixed in for the area we visited.

A week later and the wind has not stopped blowing. Gale winds will continue to blow out on the lake for the next few days. November has come early. :cautious:

Glad you had a good time when you were here. Next time look me up when you come up to this neck of the woods, if I am around I would enjoy taking a look at your camper.

- no moose though.

Our moose population is in trouble. Sad to see them go.

A few different factors, but the main one is a warmer climate with a growing deer population. On a winter drive up the Gunflint you still have a chance to see a moose, but the rest of the year they are scarce at best.

Glad you had a good time when you were here. Next time look me up when you come up to this neck of the woods, if I am around I would enjoy taking a look at your camper.

Will do. This trip, based on your ExPo posts, I figured you were on the road somewhere. Next to yours, our camper is not much to see, but it is working very well for us.

Our moose population is in trouble. Sad to see them go.

I agree. Nothing beats seeing a moose cow and her calf in the shallows of a lake with the morning mist and the sun coming up.

Back
Top Bottom