Fall Leaf peeping map

Ahh, fond memories of the leaf-peepers in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains back in the early 1970s: Cadillacs and Lincolns with Florida plates cruising at fast idle speed with Jeeps and Scouts full of mangy Appalachian State University hippies 3 feet off of their bumpers, cursing their very existence.

The Season up there is about 4 weeks out.

Nice link!

Foy

Ya half as it should be...slowing down and look up at the fleeting color and others pulling their hair out at a line of traffic doing 15 mph with cameras out the windows!

Foy said:
Ahh, fond memories of the leaf-peepers in North Carolina's Blue Ridge Mountains back in the early 1970s: Cadillacs and Lincolns with Florida plates cruising at fast idle speed with Jeeps and Scouts full of mangy Appalachian State University hippies 3 feet off of their bumpers, cursing their very existence.

The Season up there is about 4 weeks out.

Nice link!

Foy
So....we’re you driving a Lincoln or a Jeep?? ;-)

smlobx said:
So....we’re you driving a Lincoln or a Jeep?? ;-)
I was driving a '67 IH Scout, purchased in my 18th year (1973) by my parents for their use in the Blue Ridge, given to me a few years later, and still in my garage today. As the IH junkies say, "ran when parked".

We used to be fairly rough on the Florid-y Folks. The popular bumper sticker was "Drive Right, This Ain't Florida".

Foy

We just returned from SW Colorado down by Ridgway and the colors were "stunning" as my GF put it.
Camped in the same spot for five days and were able to see the daily change as the colors progressed.

We were looking at the Steens, but too far for a short trip.
The East Side (Sierra) has gotten rather crowded in the Instagram world for us.

FYI, in the Hope Valley area along 88 in the Sierra south of Tahoe the aspen are beginning to show color. Lots of leaf peepers out and about. Be aware a large prescribed burn in the Caples Creek drainage was pumping massive amounts of smoke into Hope Valley so the views were very poor.

We were just over in the Hart Mountain NWR area over this past weekend. Color is just starting with aspens and riparian zones. Not pegging the needle yet but still pretty nice. Mostly in the 6000'+ elevation but also in the lower elevation canyons on west side.

ski3pin said:
FYI, in the Hope Valley area along 88 in the Sierra south of Tahoe the aspen are beginning to show color. Lots of leaf peepers out and about. Be aware a large prescribed burn in the Caples Creek drainage was pumping massive amounts of smoke into Hope Valley so the views were very poor.
As of now at my house 5:30 PM smoke is still pouring over the hill toward Gardner/Minden valley. High winds tomorrow...... hope they control it and get it out

Here is a link to cameras on the fire lookouts -

ALERTWildfire

Click on Leek Springs for the best view. The cameras on Big Hill, Bunker, and Bald Mountain are also turned on the burn to monitor. The last two days have put up a big plume. Yes, let us hope this does not get out of hand. I have not heard any background noise about how this prescribed burn is progressing. It was several years in planning.

And the Forest's facebook page on the fire -

https://www.facebook.com/eldoradonf/posts/1631631996971222

The aspens in Hope Valley are very nice but the smoke from the fire is awful so don't go anywhere near Tahoe.

You bet.... we are in crazy color now in New England... but this storm has whipped up a maelstrom of leaves and downed branches and trees.... a sudden end to the majesty. And, so it goes. This was an "8" ...maybe higher for color... hard to match the one 2015? But real nice.... makes one stop and say "wow" every morning as that side light hits the leaves and rain soaked darkened bark. Crisp air and frost on the ground. Trouble is it harkens the 'hunker down' period. I love fall.

Back
Top Bottom