Fall photo trip

clikrf8

On September 4 we are headed to Western Wyoming for hubby to see Yellowstone/Tetons as he's never been to either one. On the way from Western Washington (a meandering trip that will take us across to Olympic Peninsula, down the WA/OR coasts, over to the Sisters area but above Bend, Painted Hills/Sheep Rock units of John Day, Owhee/Succor Creek area, over to Bruneau Sand Dunes/Snake River Raptor Area, Upper Mesa Falls then somehow (unsure at this point) into Yellowstone/Tetons then some wandering around western Wyoming (Red Canyon, Crazy Woman Canyon, the Red Desert, Green River Lakes, Sunlight Basin, Chief Joseph Hwy are just a few ideas) then down into Flaming Gorge and possibly Dinosaur. Hopefully, this will be a 4-5 week trip, maybe longer. We are photographers, rock-hounders, general explorers interested in geology and history (emigrants, rock art, Lewis and Clark). We are hoping to catch fall color (iconic shot along Oxbow in Tetons and the barns) and throughout western Wyoming.

There are some places which have little info such as Plumes Rock (on private land), Red Pillar (Shell Canyon)and other photographic areas.

I know the national parks will still be busy but I would like hubby to see the wonders of Yellowstone. We generally try to avoid national parks now that the world has become so much smaller and visitation to our crown jewels are by the busloads. There is so much more outside the boundaries and we have a capable vehicle and a comfy camper. We are bringing our dog which also limits us in national parks.

I have already posted on Expo Portal but wanted to see if any of you would be in these general areas. Our itinerary is pretty loose at this point, especially once we approach the western Wyoming border.

We have books and maps, iPhone and apps, a Garmin GPS, common sense (hubby) and a sense of adventure. Good idea to order USFS forest maps from another thread ($137) and I ordered a bunch of info (free) from Idaho. Wyoming and Oregon are not as generous as Idaho tourism or have as complete a selection of info packets and for free.

Happy trails.

Don't miss Beartooth Pass from Red Lodge, MT to the Sunlight Basin, Dead Indian Pass, Cooke City, MT area. If there is a more beautiful drive in the country I haven't found it.

KJ6I7av.jpg

tzLJ6A4.jpg

Not in the park so your dog can run free with the griz and plenty of camping and 4WD road opportunities.

jhupYRl.jpg

aGhpKr6.jpg

IyQfzjU.jpg

Beware of Sunlight....I always seem to have problems there.

8dumO6v.jpg

Yep, Sunlight Basin is on our itinerary. I was looking at our route through Idaho. Tonight on our PBS station there was a program featuring the Owyhee Uplands Backcountry Scenic Byway. I think we may take in parts of it (3 Forks, etc.). At this point we want to explore Silver City (ghost town) in that area then the Snake River raptor area, Bruneau Sand Dunes, but not sure about City of Rocks. I also want to check out the Craters of the Moon Area then meander over to the Upper and Lower Mesa Falls area. I have a book on Idaho backroads and was interested Borah Peak and Little Lost River area. Probably either go to Jackson or the west entrance of Yellowstone. We would exit Yellowstone for Cooke City to get on Chief Joseph Hwy and Sunlight Basin. From there I have lots of places so need more research. So many places to see that even 5 weeks won't be long enough. I am glad we have the time. On some forums I see people wanting to come from the east coast to Yellowstone in 2 weeks. Lots of driving. At least we have the luxury of exploring on our way to Wyoming. Actually, it is just one long trip that Wyoming is a larger part of.

Thanks for photos so I can see what the roads and scenery look like. Not too fond of bears but it looks real open so no surprises from waking up one sleeping behind a tree in the forest.

You will also want the free Motor Vehicle Use Maps for each National Forest (some have more than one), if you don't already have them. These will show you every road, coded for vehicle use allowed, and most importantly where dispersed camping is allowed.

Should I order them or download to my laptop? I like paper copies better (old school), something I can mark on. Or, dod I pick them up at ranger stations? Free? I am ordering the USFS maps for the national forests we will visit. This will be our longest trip yet.

The MVU maps are very large paper maps. I don't know if you can order them or not. I've generally picked them up at the district ranger station. The problem with that is that they're only open till 4:30, M-F. They might have them at information desks which are frequently open on weekends. They're available as PDFs, but the electronic copies lose too much information. You're better off with the paper maps.

Thanks Bosque Bill. Would they be better than the USFS maps ($10 each) or do they serve a different purpose? They indicate which roads are open or closed? I am also looking at National Geographic maps which seem to overlap some.

Due to the fires, we may have to change our itinerary. No reservations at this point; we have never made any before as we either boondock or find a vacancy somewhere.

Leaving on the 5th right after the oil is changed. I can't wait. Neighbor has a Saviour complex allowing this homeless crazy person to stay in his van who yells really insulting things to us (anti-harassmant order was a waste of time). Just want to get out of the neighborhood for awhile.

I like the NatGeo maps. They're very useful and generally cover a complete area of recreational interest, whereas NFS maps cover only the area within the governmental boundary. NatGeo maps are generally only available for more popular destinations.

The NFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps show great detail about the roads, surfaces, gates, dispersed camping zones, etc., but their intention is only to inform visitors of the motor vehicle usage regulations, such as areas where OHV's are permitted. There is absolutely no information about geographical features, rivers or streams, mountain peaks, etc. They are a great supplement to the NFS forest maps, but in no way a substitute. Not all districts have MVU maps, yet.

Permanent road closures are shown on the maps, but you should phone the appropriate ranger district office between 8 - 4:30, M-F, for seasonal closures or closures due to fire, flood danger, etc. Phone numbers are on the maps.

You mentioned the interest in Lewis&Clark.The US hwy 12 through the Clearwater/Lochsa river area and across Lolo Pass has several campgrounds along the Lochsa River.
Also there is Grassy Lake road, out of the Flagg Ranch area ,that's between Yellowstone and Teton,if you want some nice"free" places to camp,there are 14 of them along that road,they are start just a short distance up the road from Flagg Ranch.Some of the first are along the Snake River.Also for the moose there is the Gros Venture campground along the same name river.We usually stop there to see the moose.Than the walk to and around Phelps Lake is a great photo opp.
While in Yellowstone try to stay at Slough and Pebble Creek campgrounds.They can get filled very early in the day.You can ask at any entrance or campground and get an idea as to when they filled the previous day.That will help you to decide what time you might need to get staked out for a spot.
For more info and some route ideas check out MarkBC's trip planing,for a trip somewhat like yours.
Have a great time,and share your photos.
Frank

MarkBC is following a loose itinerary further north than our plans. We will be south of Boise and are keeping an eye on the fire situation. With no reservations and a truck camper we can always alter our path. He did mention a great website for monitoring the fires and his purchase of the USFS maps. I am checking out the map selection at our local REI on Monday then maybe order a few from the USFS and wait until we get to a ranger station for the MVUM. Never can have too many maps although often it is fun to allow serendipity to lead you down the road less traveled.

We will probably keep to a more southerly route so will miss the Clearwater/Lolo Pass area. Next June, we want to see that area and the Walawa/Palouse environs. This is a more southerly route to get us nearer to Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur. In Yellowstone, it will be mainly about seeing a few geysers and pools for hubby for 1 or 2 days then head to the Tetons for fall color so the Teton's color will decide where we go.

Happy trails and thanks for the help. It all gets filed in my travel folders on my Mac for travel ideas.

Back
Top Bottom