fall trip to Minnesota

Frank, sounds like a great trip. You got some terrific photos too. I second your comment on Teddy Roosevelt Park- beautiful landscape and hardly anyone goes there. -Al

Casa, good job and some really nice photos there. Especially enjoyed the badgers, but that's in my blood. If the Lady and I ever make in back to the Wisconsin, we'll have to follow your tire tracks some, especially Teddy Roosevelt. Never been there. Thanks for sharing your trip!

It was great to see your rig as you came up the shore. Sounds like you camped at a couple of the nice lakes up here.

Teddy Roosevelt NP is a great place. I like the north unit the best, although the campground in the south unit is fun when the bison are roaming through. When we camped there on the way home the bison were charging around the campground (and our campsite) until dark. I stepped out of the camper at one point and a couple of bulls were sparring about twenty feet away, that is impressive.

Love the Teddy.

I believe it was still the TR National Grassland when I first visited the area south of Medora while on a dinosaur fossil excavation project in 1975. Wikipedia, at least, confirms elevation to NP status in 1978.

I did some traveling through the area in my '79 IH Scout while on vacation with the wife in 1982. We camped along the Little Missouri River near Pretty Butte, reportedly the site of TR's first ever bison kill (sidenote: while TR is rightly praised and memorialized for his immeasurable contributions to the conservation of Federal lands, his biography details a staggering history of slain wildlife for specimen collecting). The point here is that there is a unit of Federal grasslands south of the Southern Unit, more or less between I-94 and US 12 which parallels it around 50 miles to the south. While there are surely some sections and partial sections of private ranchland, at first blush it would appear that a fairly broad area is subject to exploration and disbursed camping.

I last stopped through our dinosaur dig site in 2002 and some indication of our field facilities are still visible. The bentonite clay soils are very fragile, so where disturbed by construction of our latrine (featuring men's and ladies's rooms for our group of 30 geologists and paleontologists), the scar and slight depression was still visible 27 years later. Of special note to potential Wanderers: You don't want to be off pavement or graded gravel surface in the western ND badlands when it's wet. Those bentonite soils are of the high shrink/swell variety, and when wet they form a gumbo clay which has no bottom.

It's very nice territory, and you've sure enough got it to yourself!

Foy

Here are three photos I forgot to place into the trip report.I really enjoyed the salmon fishing at Temperance River.Small fish but it was fun catching and releasing them.Got to watch some try to climb the rapids to the spawning gravels.These fish didn't have far to go up river as there is a large set of falls about 1 mile upstream.
Can't say enough about this area of our trip.So much color and places to camp.Boy I envy those who love there,not in the winter or hot summer.Boy I am such a wimp.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4435.jpg
    DSCN4435.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN4437.jpg
    DSCN4437.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 119
I had to look up the Temperance River on Wikipedia. Looks nice! Which part of the river did you fish - in the state park or elsewhere?

I fished right at the mouth above where it goes into Lake Superior at the state park camp ground.Easy to fish as long as there aren't many other fishers there.Most of the fishers were "meat" fishers.It was almost more fun to watch the fish.But I did enjoy catching that male pink.
Further up stream there is a section for wild trout I think.The Temperance is a long river I think it drains from the Canoe Portage area.I saw some of the upstream parts but didn't fish.That area of the Superior NF has a lot of roads cut through so access is easy.Nice gravel roads.A lot of locals there "leaf peeping",but found areas to ourselves.A lot of lakes,duh "land of 10,000 lakes".A lot of the lakes are drive up and have camp sites.We wanted to stay longer but the weather just wasn't turning better.
Frank

Nat what do you do in Grand Maris that takes you to such a beautiful place to have your lunch.
A nice fish restaurant and one big fish through a building,in Grand Maris.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN5595.jpg
    DSCN5595.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN5597.jpg
    DSCN5597.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 124
Nat what do you do in Grand Maris that takes you to such a beautiful place to have your lunch.

In the summer I captain a charter sailboat for the owner of a local resort.
(It is a combination of dream job, and adult babysitting.)

In the summer I captain a charter sailboat for the owner of a local resort.
(It is a combination of dream job, and adult babysitting.)

OK due you operate out of G M near the Dockside Fish Market.We had lunch there probably the day I saw you and a sail boat with the dark red sails was leaving for a tourist trip.Don't know if I would have gone out that day the lake had some very large waves.
Nice job though must give you a lot of time for your landscape photos.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom