Faucet mod

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN
One of the things I wanted to change on my Hawk from the get-go was the stock faucet. Not only was it huge and in the way, especially when it comes to packing cushions/pillows/etc. on top of the counter....but I also noticed that no matter what I did the control lever stuck straight up and touched the liner when the top was down.

Fearing that it would eventually wear a hole/weak spot in the liner, and looking forwad to the possibility of lengthening the bed rails for a change in the sleeping configuration of the top bed, I got out there (Amazingly..it was actually WARM outside) and replaced the stock FWC faucet with a Scandvik folding marine faucet I found on ebay (there are more auctions for these right now, they are $30 and a steal, IMO. You can get it in chrome or white).

As you may be able to see, this faucet is only about 2 inches tall and the bed slider above (once extended for the king) will easily clear it when pulled out.

I had to drill a new hole to accomodate the faucet and plug 2 other holes that were drilled for the stock faucet with chrome plugs...but all-in-all it went fairly smoothly.

I've yet to fire it up as it's still too cold here at night to fill the water tank, but it's in and everything is tight so I fully expect it to pass with flying colors.

:thumb: I like it! :thumb:

thanks for lookin' in

mtn

Attachments

• faucetmod1.jpg
    faucetmod1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 399
  • faucetmod2.jpg
    faucetmod2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 392
Nice piece mtn-high. Electric faucets are the way to go. Personally, I prefer the shurflo pictured below. Then again I don't have a hot water heater so I don't need a more complex model. It is also collapsible and swivels in all directions. Best little comfort mod you can do to a camper in my opinion. Hand pump faucets be damned!

275-9400910.JPG

Sweet BSS.

To clarify on my install...all I did was replace the faucet. The pump/etc are still stock/as built by FWC.

Hopefully I got it all drained well enough last fall...:D

mtn

Nice piece mtn-high. Electric faucets are the way to go. Personally, I prefer the shurflo pictured below. Then again I don't have a hot water heater so I don't need a more complex model. It is also collapsible and swivels in all directions. Best little comfort mod you can do to a camper in my opinion. Hand pump faucets be damned!

275-9400910.JPG

Planning for one of these myself, should tuck into that covered sink I have too.

275-9400910.JPG

This faucet was one of the best mods we have done!

If you are replacing the manual pump faucet, the hole is too big. Our solution was to get a $7 small white plastic cutting board (inspired by a previous poster), about 1/2 thick. I cut out a beveled square, drilled a hole in the center for the faucet and one for the back pump faucet bolt hole and then mounted it with contact cement and one bolt onto the counter.

The cutting board material is impervious to water, easy to clean, resists mold, and looks like it was the intended way to mount the faucet.

I also mounted the pump on the floor of the space under the sink with two Ts on each side to drain it in freezing weather. This worked well last winter in Portland when we were parked for 10 days in sub-freezing weather. I drained the pump when we arrived and then refilled the tank when we left. We plan to get a small 12V heater that we can put in the under sink compartment should we find ourselves on the road in below 25' weather. When camping in sub-freezing weather, we leave the door to the under sink compartment open and the heater set to 45'.

Back
Top Bottom