Finding Location of Frame in FWC

Josh41

I have to mount some tie down points on the interior and exterior of my Fleet. I tried removing the paneling with only limited success. The driver side was easy as I have a shell, but the window, and plastic framing to hold up the top made it a little too difficult. Nikonron suggested the ice pick method, It works, but I don't like poking holes all over the place. Standard stud finder did not do the job either. I have access to a Flir thermal imaging camera and decided to give that a try. In the picture below, the aluminum framing is a little cooler (about 1 degree C) than the areas with styrofoam. Here is a quick image taken with the camera. I am shooting sitting on the floor with the door to my back.
img_171893_0_5753c686ccb2e2b3baf0cbfd12974095.png

This is the front left corner looking forward, below the window. The camera has a laser pointer so you know exactly where you are looking. Plan is to have a partner use masking tape and tape over the framing that we want to fasten too.

You can rent these at HD for about $50. Do it right in the parking lot. I think the key is to get the inside and outside different temps, the aluminum framing will transfer energy well and the styrofoam will block it giving you an easy to see (IR) contrast.
img_171893_2_80f4e21848795e7f4504a64ee53f66fa.png

Well that is interesting. I am in the process of attaching tie downs on the back exterior wall on drivers side. Have you taken a shot of that? (Fleets have same frame as Eagles, just a few inches wider)./ If you have taken that shot... I'd love a copy! That is a great idea.

Josh I was lucky enough to get a 2012 photo from factory of the Eagle. It is the same as your Fleet but the spaces at the two sides are bigger (as yours is just a few inches wider). Hope this helps you on the back wall.

Attachments

• Rear Eagle wall2.jpg
    Rear Eagle wall2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 779

Back
Top Bottom