Finishing Touches on Bobcat Shell

George

Advanced Member
This is my first post, but I've spent a lot of time reading through the posts on this site. Ben tells me my Bobcat will be delivered next weekend. Looking forward to seeing the camper, and getting used to how it works on the Tacoma. The last detail we have been working through is the battery. As always, Ben has been more than helpful, emailing me a pdf file of the battery, and offering to substitute something else. But, as usual, AT's choice is pretty solid and I can't come up with anything better.

I started out with a shell, adding just the sofa. No matter what, you have to sit somewhere, and the sofa also provides storage. I have used an Olympian catalytic heater in a Lance camper. The Lance was so leaky that ventilation was not an issue. I guess one of the problems with the catalytics is that as the oxygen depletes, they get dirtier. I finally decided to go with a vented heater, which requires a battery and a basic electrical system. On balance, I can do without the stove, fridge, sink, and water supply, but I want some form of safe heating. The price, in dollars, is fairly high, and I really don't want any excess weight.

The actual battery AT uses is an Interstate SLA. Since it's approved for air travel, it's a safe battery in the camper. The capacity is fine, although with my Engel DC fridge, it won't last long. But 75 amp hours for about 50 pounds is about as good as you can do. The premium batteries are heavier. There are valid reasons not to go with the very best battery in terms of longevity.

Here's a pretty good link on deep cycle batteries.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Using%20a%20deep%20cycle%20battery%20as%20a%20starting%20battery

I'm hoping adding 35 pounds of furnace, 30 pounds for a propane suppy, and 60 pounds for the electrical, to have heat, doesn't affect too much. If so, I guess I can remove the propane tank and the battery when there is no need. I've made some LED lights that work well off their own supplies. It's like the camper jacks, which should probably come off because of the weight. But maybe they won't make enough difference to matter.

I guess that's why you never know until you have lived with the thing for a while.:rolleyes:

Congrats

George,
Congratulations and good luck with the Bobcat and Taco. Sounds like you have made some well thought out and good choices.

I picked up a used FWC for my Tundra just before the snow hit. Haven’t had much chance to play yet. I did go ahead and add air bags to the Tundra. Seems like an improvement even unloaded with ~10lbs of air. I’m just waiting for the weather to change here so I can setup (play with:D ) the camper.

Again, best of luck.
Jim

Thanks...

Hi,

I'm hoping for the best on the suspension, but the air bags or some kind of supplemental spring is pretty easy. I think FWC recommends the air bags, but also "SuperSprings". Ben said to see how things are working and then work from there. The SuperSpring looks like a clever design. I don't want to see much drop from the weight.

Thanks for the support on the choices. The weather has been unbelievable in the mountain west. Highs of 10 degrees here in the mountains of Southern Utah. But I'm about 90 minutes from the desert over by Mesquite, Nevada which should provide some opportunity to test out the new camper.

George

That sounds great, what year is your Taco?

My wife was asking if we should head over to Utah or western New Mexico for a spring trip to try out the camper since it’ll probably be a long spring thaw here in Colorado.

I was going back and forth between air bags and supersprings. I went ahead with the air bags. The supersprings look easier to install and less expensive. My Tundra has >108000 miles so I figured I’d try this out and make adjustments when I get a new truck in a while.

I would load up the camper and see what you think first. I drove up to Idaho to pick up my FWC Ranger. It definitely lowered the rear but otherwise drove just fine. I was hitting the rubber stops on big bumps :eek: - the Taco may have better rear springs than the Tundra though.

deliverie

Hi George,

I will be the driver of choice for your delivery this weekend.

Going through Vegas is always a good choice. I should be there about midnight or so.

Drive safely.

Marty

delivery

George,

Just to clarify Marty's post. He is leaving the day before and will be there that night. We still plan on meeting you at the time and place we agreed upon.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

It's the 2005, with the composite bed. I love the truck, so my goal is to keep things about the way they are.

Hi Marty,

Vegas should be a little crazy with the Super Bowl crowd. I think Ben told me not to pay you in cash. You could put it all on the Colts? Maybe the Bears? I've already put all my money on the Bobcat.

Hope it's an easy install.

See ya',

George

Hi George,
I really like the new taco. Keep us informed on how it works with the composite bed. I'd like to see pictures of how they mount the ATC Bobcat.

Will you end up with external tiedowns or is Marty going to reinforce an area for the eyebolts?

Does the camper sit on the composite bed or on some kind of reinforced bracket system?

Curious minds want to know:D

Best of luck!
Jim

tie downs

The camper is going to have external tie downs on the front that go directly to the frame.

The back will be our usual tie downs with steel reinforcement plates under the bed.

The camper will sit on the bed of the truck. I will have some pictures of the set up on the web as soon as Marty is done with the install and brings the camera back.

Tie downs

George,
We just installed your Torklift system on a tacoma that is the same year as yours. It was a great fit. I just wanted to share that with you. See you in a few days.

Marty

Marty,

Good deal. I looked at their website again. They seem to take a lot of pride in their whole system. Glad you guys went with it, at least for the composite bed. Easy to see if something is loose.

Thanks,

George

Back
Top Bottom