First gen Tundra and FWC questions

campito

Advanced Member
Got in an accident a few weeks ago with my 2006 Tundra, access cab, V8, 4x4, 103k miles. I would get in that truck and drive anywhere anytime, totally reliable. I still have not heard if it’s going to be totaled, driving me crazy.

Assuming I need to replace I’m starting to research. I have a Fleet and assumed I would replace with a new or newer Tacoma. I drove my sons 2019 and ah, I don’t think so. It’s nicer looking, more modern, but the 06 Tundra feels so much nicer in the cab and the V8 is amazing.

So, looking for another first gen Tundra. They are hard to find!
- The 2000 – 2004 has a smaller V8, how are these with a fairly loaded Fleet? I prefer the 05 or 06, but looking at all alternatives.
- How many miles is too many with these? 150k miles safe bet if good condition? 200k miles? I found a 2001 single owner with 73k miles where most of any year are 150k+.
- I had the access cab and had all the room I needed. But it seems most for sale are double cabs. How are these with an FWC? I am often on 4 x 4 roads, not radical, but just want to make sure the DC and FWC combination works well.

- The earlier V8's are still 4.7L but do not have the VVTI. Some would argue they are more reliable than the VVTI versions. But you do see less HP with the earlier ones. I would check the GVWR on the pre-facelift versions but they should be relatively close.

- The V8's for the Sequoia and Tundra are manufactured in North America vs the 4.7's made for the Land Cruiser,4Runners and LX470's in Japan. While the Japanese versions are slightly more robust and less prone to failure, the NA versions, as long as taken care for should be fine til the 300k+ mark. My wife's 2005 V8 4runner has 200k and absolutely hauls butt on 33" tires. Really the only thing is ensuring that the timing belt service has been done within the last 100k.

- Can't speak about the double cabs, as I had an access cab, but the reason I sold mine was to get 4 doors (ended up with a F350). I don't see a problem with a double cab with regards to a FWC.

I wouldn't hesitate to get one with 100-150k miles if it was cared for(service records are a plus) and not used commercially. My 06 access cab which carried the Hawk for 3 years is still my daily driver with 153K on it. It's the 4.0 six but it's my understanding the tranny is the same as the 4.7 and it shares most all other components. All systems still work as they should, no drips or leaks. I did all fluids at 100K and just did the original water pump and original hoses and at 148K miles.

Our 06 Tundra AC with 135k is still going strong with a Hawk after ten years of off road camping. We're looking to change things up soon and I'll probably be selling our truck in a few months. Good luck with your search.

1995 T100 V6 w/ 240,000 miles. Still exploring the backcountry. However, wish I could find a low mileage Tundra myself

I have a 05 double cab with my Fleet. I love it. So much better than the 2nd gen Tacoma I had the fleet on before.

I got mine with 150k, now has 160k and no major issues (beside the squirrel eating my wiring harness. :(

If you are interested, I talk about the Tundra double cab/FWC combo in some of my videos.

The biggest problem you will find, is the price. These old Tundra are demanding insane resell values. I paid 13k for mine with a topper, flipped the topper for 1k so its a 12k truck. Kind of hard to swallow, but honestly, in my Colorado market, I think it has gone UP in price. If I was shopping now, id put out a search in Texas, GA, FL, and buy sight unseens for 8k or something like that and have it shipped to me. Thats the dream at least.

'05 Tundra ACab with '16 Hawk [permanent mount]....concur with the evaluations given...great vehicle...I bought mine new in '05 and only have 50K on it...because the '05 "Lexus" V8 is an 'interference' motor if the timing belt goes, you lose the motor; I think they went to chain in '06?...10years/100K miles is the recommendation for belt...I had my timing belt and water pump [precautionary, no problems, since labor is the cost do pump] replaced this time last year..

With ACab I removed rear seat and use for Rubbermaid storage boxes....E tires, rear sway bar and airbags; good to go!

I had put 150K and 200K on old Toy 22R trucks ['78/'87] hauling 30+ Scuba tanks for thousands of miles and general winding the crap out them...again great vehicles.

Phil

campito said:
Got in an accident a few weeks ago with my 2006 Tundra, access cab, V8, 4x4, 103k miles. I would get in that truck and drive anywhere anytime, totally reliable. I still have not heard if it’s going to be totaled, driving me crazy.

Assuming I need to replace I’m starting to research. I have a Fleet and assumed I would replace with a new or newer Tacoma. I drove my sons 2019 and ah, I don’t think so. It’s nicer looking, more modern, but the 06 Tundra feels so much nicer in the cab and the V8 is amazing.

So, looking for another first gen Tundra. They are hard to find!
- The 2000 – 2004 has a smaller V8, how are these with a fairly loaded Fleet? I prefer the 05 or 06, but looking at all alternatives.
- How many miles is too many with these? 150k miles safe bet if good condition? 200k miles? I found a 2001 single owner with 73k miles where most of any year are 150k+.
- I had the access cab and had all the room I needed. But it seems most for sale are double cabs. How are these with an FWC? I am often on 4 x 4 roads, not radical, but just want to make sure the DC and FWC combination works well.
I have a 2002 AC cab 4x4 TRD limited.
It has a 4.7 V8. Don't know what differences there are in the later V8s of the 1st gn.
My Tundra has a ATC Bobcat and there is sufficient power. It carries the camper very well.
Frank

Hi, I have an 02 Tundra access cab w/ a FWC Fleet.
It is a huge upgrade form the Tacoma i had the camper on. Plenty of power, I added E rated tires and firestone airbags.
The brakes leave a little to be desired but I got used to to them pretty quick.
I bought the truck just for the Fleet and leave it mounted full time.
I love it. Looks and drives good and I'm pretty partial to Toyota trucks.

Congrats on a great rig!
First gen Tundra AC owner here with ten years using a Hawk.
Agree with your sentiments.

A number of folks have replaced the Firestone bolts with grade 8's.
I broke two before I made the switch.

Lighthawk said:
Congrats on a great rig!
First gen Tundra AC owner here with ten years using a Hawk.
Agree with your sentiments.

A number of folks have replaced the Firestone bolts with grade 8's.
I broke two before I made the switch.

Hmmm...can't remember if I used #8s on my Firestones....will go back and check, thanks for reminder!

I bought my '01 4x4 AC with about 185k. Upgraded the suspension to Bilstein 5100 all around. I originally had Air Rite airbags in the rear, but blew one out and had Deaver do a custom spring pack. I carry an Eagle and I love it, I have E-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3 and they have gotten me in and out of places I never would have thought possible. It's a great combo, but as others have said the brakes are lacking, change the water pump and belt every 100k, and do regular oil changes and it can take you a long way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom