Fleet Flatbed: Bike Rack Help?!

kifo4173

I'm only a few weeks away from picking up my Tacoma Fleet Flatbed AT Overland. Couldn't be more excited!

In wrapping up the final details, I've been struggling quite a bit with the solution for carrying two full-suspension mountain bikes.

I see options in three categories. I've outlined them below with positives and negatives. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

I. Hitch Mount
Pros: Easy to access bikes, inexpensive and simple
Cons: Movement/shaking on trails, REALLY messes with departure angle, makes vehicle significantly longer, can't use a standard folding one because of angle at bottom rear of camper body (will conflict when folded into 'up' position)

II. Roof Mount
Pros: Less attractive to thieves, leaves room on rear for gas/water containers without a sophisticated work-around design
Cons: Wind resistance (?), difficulty of access

I'm curious how much my mileage will be affected by the bikes up top. The rig will already not be great (around 12mpg) because of weight and aerodynamics. Will I be at a point where the bikes won't drop me much at all? If so, I'd like to go this route probably-like having them up out of the way and safe. Any METRICS and qualitative information re: roof-mounted racks on FWC's and mileage are relatively hard to find and would be SO appreciated.

III. Custom Rear-wall Mount
Pros: Doesn't stick out much, good departure angle maintained, low wind resistance
Cons: Design? How will it fit? Space for fuel and gas tanks?

This is where I'm leaning. However, with the 45 degree angle on the lower part of the rear wall, and the relatively limited height of the rear wall I'm having trouble figuring out how this would work. Other considerations include not blocking tail lights and still having room for a fuel and water tank.

For reference, I've included a few images. My rear wall rack was intended to be finished like Foster Huntington's (see attached image) with a fuel tank and a water tank. This aluminum rack is supported by the jack brackets and is robust in that attachment.
fosterrear.jpg

My Ideas for a Custom rear-wall mount

I liked the WTW custom bike rack that was done for DirtyDog (see attached image-black rack). wtwrack.jpg

However, my rear wall isn't vertical, nor is it as tall. It still may work with some lower hangover. The camper in this image has approximately a 50" rear wall, while mine is closer to 45" (I think) including the 45 degree lower part. Rear window would be obscured but this may not matter. Ideas?

Another idea would be a more standard upper fork mount solidly affixed to the upper camper wall. forkmount.jpg

However, with a fork mount the bottom wheel would not make it to the 45 degree part as the crank would hit the camper body first. Obviously dimensions are needed, but for reference on a vertical wall the bike is 54" from fork to rear wheel, and the crank hits when the rear wheel is sucked in 5.5" while the fork is kept secured at the top. I don't want to obstruct my brake lights either.

Any and all suggestions or tips on this topic would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially interested in MPG analysis/thoughts on how mine might be affected with a fork mount system up top, and creative ideas for a rear rack. Cheers!

I'm not sure about putting the bikes up top. Maybe if you removed the front wheel and mounted the fork to a roof type rack like Yakima and Tule where the fork was either secured to the rack, or to a separate mount that attached to the camper roof. I have mounted bikes many times on the tops of trucks and SUVs. On my Silverado, I have to use a short step ladder to put them on a camper shell roof. I think it would be very awkward to put bikes on and off of the FWC roof. The mileage might take a slight hit. My truck gets such poor mileage I'm not sure how much I notice bikes. With my VW Jetta TDI, I do notice a drop of several MPG. Two other issues with bikes on the roof are the added weight when lifting the roof panel, and the concern with overhead branches or other obstructions. The last could be a big issue when it is dark, or you are tired or distracted (yes, there is a story behind that one...).

The vertical fork mounted bike might work, if you used a long wheel tray like the roof rack fork mounted kits from Yakima or Tule. The fork could attach to a mount like in your above listed photo, but there would be a long wheel tray that would attach to the camper's back wall and support the wheel past where the wall slopes back toward the truck (not sure if I'm explaining this very well).

We solved this problem with our Silverado by putting on a front hitch, and mounting the bikes up there when we tow a trailer. But that may not be an option for a Tacoma.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Not in expensive but I like my hitch rack mounted to my rakattach. This video is not me but you get the idea... looks like it would be out enough for your curve? I also sometime use a hitch rack basket for extra gear or firewood.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom