Fleet Maiden Voyage

BFH4N

Hi Folks,

I have finally taken possesion of my new Fleet, which was ordered back in March! It's been at Go Anywhere LLC in Wisconsin since early June. I drove up there last week and got it. Sean did a great job on the installation and Dianna spent a lot of time explaining everything and going over the paperwork. We had a good time, too, discussing everything under the sun. They are great folks and I would recommend to anyone in the East that you get your FWC from them.

The camper is absolutely beautiful! I got the silver exterior to match my silver Tacoma and it looks great. The interior is very nicely finished. The beds are going to be fine: plenty of room. Sitting in there at the table, it's hard to believe that we are in the back of a Toyota Tacoma!

Technically, I guess this posting is sort of off-topic, because I wasn't camping, just bringing the empty camper home, but it was the maiden voyage of a FWC. With about 30 PSI in the Boss air-bags and the tires at 60 PSI rear & 40 PSI front, the truck was easy to drive and semed perfectly safe. I took it slowly - about 60 miles / hour. With the empty camper (except for the corner jacks stowed in the aisle) I averaged 15.4 miles / gallon, compared to 18.1 going out in the empty truck.

I took a little detour through Michigan on the way home and spent a day on the beach near Frankfort (NW LP). Here's a picture of the camper being taken aboard the carferry Badger at Manitowoc, Wisconsin, for the trip across Lake Michigan to Ludington. It was just one of the hundred or so cars, trucks and motorcycles carried on that crossing.

4 Camper onto Badger.JPG

From Ludington, I drove north along the lake to Frankfort and caught the sunset as I went.

5 Sunset.JPG

And here it is the next day by the Point Betsie lighthouse.

6 Pt Betsie.JPG

It's too hot, humid and buggy to do any camping around here in the summer. I'm going to leave the camper on the truck and get it ready to do some short outings in the fall. Then, our version of the Great American Road Trip to California next summer!

- Bernard

Welcome. We met Sean in early April, and placed our order the first week of May. It is supposed to ship out tomorrow and arrive in Eagle, WI on Sunday. We are picking it up on August 1st. Is yours a front dinette? We ordered a Grandby with a front dinette. They modified the large passenger side cabinet and are leaving the face off for our porta potti.

bfh4n said:
Hi Folks,

I have finally taken possession of my new Fleet...

...It's too hot, humid and buggy to do any camping around here in the summer...

- Bernard
Congratulations, Bernard! :)

Where is "around here"? Your avatar I.D. says Virginia...is that it?

Congratulations from here too Bernard and welcome to the FWC club. Just get ready to answer questions about it everywhere you go. Happy camping!

Yes, Longhorn1, my Fleet is front-dinette. The large floor level cabinet at the passenger-side rear is the place for the porta-potti, but I think they changed the design since I visited the factory last fall. What I remember, and what seems to show in the picture I took, is that the doors of that cabinet came down to the floor. The floor just extended right into the cabinet. Perfect for sliding the porta-potti in and out. But in mine, there is a little wall there - about 1 1/2 inches high - and the doors don't go all the way to the floor. So, the porta-potti will fit, but you have to lift it up. Not nearly as convenient. (I might have to make a small modification.) The doors keep it out of sight and I thought I needed them to keep it from sliding out while driving, but the new lip does that. By the way, I got the next larger size porta-potti that the one FWC sells - 320 instead of 260. It holds a little more water and is a bit taller, but still fits in the cabinet (even with the lip). You will enjoy your day with Sean & Diana on August 1st.

MarkBC, I live in central Virginia, near Charlottesville.

You are right, Steelhead, my rig drew several complements and questions just in the two days it took to drive home from Wisconsin.

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
The doors keep it out of sight and I thought I needed them to keep it from sliding out while driving, but the new lip does that. By the way, I got the next larger size porta-potti that the one FWC sells - 320 instead of 260. It holds a little more water and is a bit taller, but still fits in the cabinet (even with the lip).
- Bernard
FYI. the lip may keep it from sliding, BUT it will tip over. My first trip in my used 2002 Hawk I had the port a pot turn over on Hwy 20. I also have the tall model and the clear water weight is up high, Only good thing about finding it upside down and water all over is that it had never been used and the chemical was held in the bottom and did not leak. I now have a bungie cord around it.

Congratulations Bernard.

It sounds like a maiden voyage to me. Enjoy and keep us informed of your adventures.

P.S I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of the toilet set-up. I was thinking of getting the larger porta-potti also.

Timothy

Back
Top Bottom