Floor pack on older models compared to newer

STRETCH

Hi all, first post but long time lurker of this site. I recently purchased a 1986 FWC Fleet that I've started restoring (will start a build thread on it soon, complete with many photos) but I have a few questions that I've not been able to gain clarity on through searching this site.

I have the same problem many others do, the floor pack has pulled away from the frame of the camper directly under the door. The wood itself is salvageable, it just needs the old screws pulled out and some new ones put in between the old. I'd like to strengthen this area where the plywood meets the frame directly under the door. I've read about people using 2" wide metal there but haven't seen any photos. Anyone here done this?

I understand the newer campers sit on 1 x 2 slats that run N to S under the camper to help give it some clearance from the truck bed...does anyone have a photo of this? Might be another option for me. Otherwise I'm looking at simply overlaying the current plywood (the entire floor piece) with another sheet of plywood for added strength.

STRETCH said:
Hi all, first post but long time lurker of this site. I recently purchased a 1986 FWC Fleet that I've started restoring (will start a build thread on it soon, complete with many photos) but I have a few questions that I've not been able to gain clarity on through searching this site.

I have the same problem many others do, the floor pack has pulled away from the frame of the camper directly under the door. The wood itself is salvageable, it just needs the old screws pulled out and some new ones put in between the old. I'd like to strengthen this area where the plywood meets the frame directly under the door. I've read about people using 2" wide metal there but haven't seen any photos. Anyone here done this?

I understand the newer campers sit on 1 x 2 slats that run N to S under the camper to help give it some clearance from the truck bed...does anyone have a photo of this? Might be another option for me. Otherwise I'm looking at simply overlaying the current plywood (the entire floor piece) with another sheet of plywood for added strength.
Slats run across the width of the camper, not N/S.

The slats under my 2007 Keystone run fore and aft (front and rear).

A nit: North, South, East and West are compass directions.

I understand what folks are trying to communicate by referring to N-S and E-W but relative to the campers it is factually nonsensical (unless of course the camper is actually physically oriented North - South).

Using forward - aft, left - right, side - side, front - back, Front - rear all make sense relative to the campers and do not depend on the truck pointing North. I don't expect anyone will change their nomenclature based on this but writing these words is cathartic. Rant complete. ;-)

Wishing all Happy Holidays (Happy Christmas, Merry New year, Cheerful Hanukkah, Joyous Kwanzaa, Merry Three Kings Day, Convivial St. Lucia Day, Festive St. Nicholas Day and riotous whatever else you may celebrate!) as well as a prosperous and healthy 2019.

;-)

Craig

We make a point to only park North South while traveling ( factoring in delineation) in order that we know how and where to sleep.....

That said, the plywood slats beneath our 2012 Hawk Shell are attached fore/aft under the floorpak.

I have seen an image of another FWC camper with the slats underneath cross ways, that would be to say athwart ship.

Merry Christmas to all.

David Graves

After hours of searching online I finally found some helpful info today along with some great photos.

Many different designs to give you some ideas. I need to lift my 86 Fleet several inches to clear the bed rails of my 96 Silverado. I may build something to allow for storage underneath as some of the folks in this thread have done.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12953-show-me-your-camper-risers/

DavidGraves said:
We make a point to only park North South while traveling ( factoring in delineation) in order that we know how and where to sleep.....

That said, the plywood slats beneath our 2012 Hawk Shell are attached fore/aft under the floorpak.

I have seen an image of another FWC camper with the slats underneath cross ways, that would be to say athwart ship.

Merry Christmas to all.

David Graves

Ah, but did you adjust for the 'declination' when factoring in the 'delineation'?

My spilchek is broked.

Welcome STRETCH to the forum....it is not always old geezers hijacking threads.

A storage area below the Fleet is tempting but remember the turnbuckles need to draw down and fore/aft with some considerable pressure to keep the camper stable in your truck.

Design your under storage accordingly.

David Graves

Hello STRETCH
Welcome to the posting side of the forum. I guess you might call that the bridge. Would like to see a shot of the problem trying to envision what you are describing. Our camper was built byATC. We have no ribs underneath in any direction, have thought those could be a good idea. I did repaint the entire wood section as the original painting was sprayed and seamed thin. I think I would place them width wise as the bed has raised ribs which run the length of the bed. Not sure I'd laminate another piece of plywood to the bottom, gunna think on that one.

Merry Christmas all.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom