Fly Fishing - August 2020

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
This story is posted to our blog, the link is in our signature space below. Since this story is short and only a narrative, I will post it here also. We hope you enjoy flowing along behind us on this one day adventure.

The summer heat wave has descended on us. We woke yesterday morning, Friday, and I surprised the Lady with, "Let's go fly fishing today." Thigh deep in a cold mountain stream, fly rod in hand, was an irresistible notion. And why not? A 30 minute drive from home and a two mile hike in put me on new water, water always on my list, patiently waiting its turn. And, we knew the trailhead area would be insanely packed on the coming weekend, especially a hot weekend with the crazy masses flocking to any kind of water. This would be only at the trailhead, the two mile hike pretty much eliminates others getting into our spot.

This water is the mountain stream of your dreams. Old growth sugar pines line the bank, their earring like cones dangling from the tips of long branches shading the water. I expected the Lady would make a nest along the river and read and nap and close her eyes and listen to the sounds. She did not. She waded behind me enjoying the hunt, watching the study of insects and trout lies and making the cast. She only had to climb two alders to retrieve the snagged dry fly from an errant backcast. She loves to see the rise of a trout and the take. The small rainbows danced and pranced across the water before coming to hand for their careful release. The Lady insists on the careful release. Her enthusiasm more than matched mine.

I have never seen another angler on this stretch of water. I fly fished three hours and covered maybe 400 yards of water. I worked on my technique on the quiet long runs where a gentle presentation was key. The rhythm was there. I can still hear the sound of flowing cold water in my mind and feel the pulsing cold on my legs.

There is no better exercise for balance and strength than wading in a mountain stream, climbing over logs and rocks, watching each foot placement, fighting the current, staying low in the shadows, making a cast. The Lady got extra points for tree climbing. I used one fly, a well dressed size 18 caddis dry. I still have it, a bit torn up but now a treasure to stir up memories.

The day was perfect, the only mar the fact we forgot and left the camera on the counter at home when we left.

And where is this stream? Locked properly away with so many other secrets.

Bravo, bravo!
Another well written expose and even though I have no idea of where you speak if I close my eyes I can see it clearly.

Very,Very Sweet! That’s called living the dream! Need pics of colorful trout on your next outing.
Wayne

Thanks for the very kind comments. The tree climber and I appreciate it! :)

smlobx said:
Bravo, bravo!
Another well written expose and even though I have no idea of where you speak if I close my eyes I can see it clearly.

WjColdWater said:
Very,Very Sweet! That’s called living the dream! Need pics of colorful trout on your next outing.
Wayne

Well said, thanks Vic! :)

Vic said:
Small, cool, clear waters in the Sierras are treasures, and a wild trout on a 3 wt rod is a lot of fun. Great way to simplify and enjoy our natural bounty.

teledork said:
A size 18? I can't see well enough to use anything smaller than a 14 nowdays.
Yes, took me five minutes to accomplish the task but I got it done. :)

Big plus was I could also see it on the water! :)

After the detached retina and the surgeries in both eyes last year, you can imagine having workable vision back is so outstanding and both of us are absolutely thrilled.

Frank, thanks for the nice comment! Ah, the explanation about no photos was in the text of the narrative -

"The day was perfect, the only mar the fact we forgot and left the camera on the counter at home when we left."

:)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Oh the fun to get on the water.I am envious.
Thanks for sharing the story.BUT where are the usual "photos of proof"?
Frank

Thirty minutes from home. You have me tempted to lay out the map and see if I can figure it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom