Ford F-150 Powerboost Electrical Question

Dart8181

I am getting a Four wheeler Project M camper installed in a few weeks and I have a few questions about the electrical system set-up:

I would like three electrical options for this camper:

1) connect the camper electrical system to a solar panel and battery.
2) connect the camper electrical system to the F-150 Powerboost generator. The truck has 110 plugs in the pickup bed.
3) connect the camper electrical system to the truck alternator to charge a second battery.

Any advice on how to set up these options would be very appreciated.

So you're not having FWC do it?

What is the camper electrical system? lights? outlets of some kind? house batteries? inverter? 12v?

IIRC the AC in the rear on that can run quite a while off the hybrid battery. And does the truck have a generator mode? that would all seem to take care of AC power, so what else do you need?

Those are 3 separate and interlinked systems. I would do ONE of the three and see how your power needs develop as you use the camper.

First thing to do is install a true State of Charge (SOC) battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712 or SmartShunt. Then you can actually see what you are using and what state that leaves your camper batteries in after a typical day/week of being out and about.

When I talked to the FWC tech staff in Salt Lake and California they said they did not have any experience with connecting the Project M's electrical system to the PowerBoost. I am asking for help with details from someone who knows how to do this. I don't have any experience with this stuff to answer any questions. I would just like to know before I return to Salt Lake to have the camper installed how my three options can be installed. If I need to buy parts I would like to order them in advance of the install. If you can help with this, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

Dart8181 said:
I am getting a Four wheeler Project M camper installed in a few weeks and I have a few questions about the electrical system set-up:

I would like three electrical options for this camper:

1) connect the camper electrical system to a solar panel and battery.
Sounds Reasonable. Have the dealer install it.
2) connect the camper electrical system to the F-150 Powerboost generator. The truck has 110 plugs in the pickup bed.
Why? You have an outlet in the bed, just use it for any A/C needs.
3) connect the camper electrical system to the truck alternator to charge a second battery.
Again, let the dealer do this.

Vic’s advice about a monitor is good.
Any advice on how to set up these options would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your help. On #2 we are not sure how to plug the Project M camper electrical system to the truck Powerboost generator in the bed when we are at camp. This is the problem that FWC tech people weren't able to answer.

Dart8181 said:
Thanks for your help. On #2 we are not sure how to plug the Project M camper electrical system to the truck Powerboost generator in the bed when we are at camp. This is the problem that FWC tech people weren't able to answer.
I’m not fully up to speed on the Powerboost system; so take this with a pound of salt…

Isn’t there an AC plug in the bed that you can use to power tools etc when on a job site? Essentially making the truck a portable shore power source? If so, get a short extension cord and plug that into your “shore power” plug on the camper.

Or isn’t it that simple?

Yes. The truck acts like a generator, which you can plug powertools into. I'm wondering how I can plug the camper electrical system into the truck 110 receptical. For example, I would like to run the camper lights, ceiling fan, AC and refrigertor lights from the powerboost plug. This would be nice to be able to do in the back country for short trips. For extended overnight trips I need solar panels since the truck powerboost runs on gas.

Dart8181 said:
Yes. The truck acts like a generator, which you can plug powertools into. I'm wondering how I can plug the camper electrical system into the truck 110 receptical. For example, I would like to run the camper lights, ceiling fan, AC and refrigertor lights from the powerboost plug. This would be nice to be able to do in the back country for short trips. For extended overnight trips I need solar panels since the truck powerboost runs on gas.
It would help if you could supply us with info about what power outlets that truck has; most of us are unfamiliar.

I know it has AC outlets. So essentially you could plug stuff in with AC cords, as if in a campsite. If the camper itself has build in 12v lights, you'd need like a wall wart to convert from AC to DC. A fridge could probably run on AC. Some fans too.

But is there also a 12v outlet back there? I have no idea.

The shore power plug makes sense. I will check whether the Project M has a shore power plug. I have pictures of the plug receptacles in the bed of the F-150 Powerboost, but I can't figure out how to post them. Maybe someone could help me with this.

Dart8181 said:
The shore power plug makes sense. I will check whether the Project M has a shore power plug. I have pictures of the plug receptacles in the bed of the F-150 Powerboost, but I can't figure out how to post them. Maybe someone could help me with this.
In the Member Support sub forum there are several pinned threads on photos. If that doesn’t help, send me a PM with your phone number, and I’ll help you

@Dart8181

You wrote: << connect the camper electrical system to the F-150 Powerboost generator. The truck has 110 plugs in the pickup bed >>

Best NOT to hook up a Project M Topper to the 110/120V in the truck bed.

The Project M Toppers are only set up for 12 volt battery power.

We have had customers hook the camper up to 110/120V AC power and SMOKE all of the camper wiring !!

That is a big No No. :(

I just talked to an FWC technician and they recommend using a Goal Zero Power Bank. They said I can use a Yeti link expansion module to charge the Yeti battery with the truck alternator. I can also connect solar panels to the Yeti Goal Zero. There is also a cable that i could purchase for shore power. I believe I can plug the Yeti into the truck 110 plug, because the Yeti can plug into a wall plug. I believe this answers my electrical questions. Does anyone have experience with the 1500X Goal zero?

Dart8181 said:
I believe I can plug the Yeti into the truck 110 plug, because the Yeti can plug into a wall plug.
I would do the power storage as suggest by FWC. Connect the Yeti power station into the truck's 110 volt outlet via one the Goal Zero optional power bricks and call it good - so long as the charging rate does not exceed the capacity of the outlet in the bed of the truck.

With regards to the 12 volt DC output of the Goal Zero 1500X - it does have a single 30amp outlet that will easily power the 12 volt accessories in a Project M.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom