Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell build ? Are struts necessary?

triplover

We are ordering our Four Wheel Camper Hawk shell next month and I need some help if at all possible. We are having this built pretty bare bones as it is going to be just our overnighter occasionally and a camper shell 99 percent of the time. Can I get your input on whether the external gas struts are necessary or not? I weigh about 120 pounds 5/4" and may have to higher and lower this myself sometimes. We will not have anything on our roof. Can I lift the roof by myself? Just wondering if they are necessary? Thank you for your help :)

triplover
2016 FWC Hawk shell (to be built)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4wd
2016 Dynamax Force

I would get the struts, and at least 1 AGM battery, get it wired for solar, for the roof and get the rear solar plug so you get add a controller later and either use the plug or mount a roof top panel. I would also consider one of the interior seating set-ups, and a side awning. Good luck. JD

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

My wife is 5'6" and 130 pounds. She struggles with getting the front end up. You can get jacks that help to lift it. I don't have the struts so I can't comment on them. But at 5'4" you might actually be able to stand on the front bench and put your shoulder and back into it where a taller person can't.

Imho ... get them !
I'm pretty strong and lifting the front end can still make you 2nd guess if you unlatched it when first trying to push up.

Definitely get struts! Even on my old Fleet, it was a two person job to raise the roof. Lowering the roof was pretty sketchy too.

After I installed struts, I can raise and lower with ease. Really saves my back and neck!

Struts are OK but personally, I don't care for them. Just my opinion, I think they "junk up the look of a camper.
I went with the crank-up speaker stand. I use a small cordless drill to run the stand up and down. It really works slick. I've used one since last year and highly recommend it.
Struts work well and are the choice of a lot of people. The speaker stand is just another option and is a lot cheaper than the struts.
There is a thread on this forum that shows the speaker stand in operation. Maybe someone can supply a link.
Tim

I had no problem raising the roof before I started adding stuff. Now with the two solar panels and the maxtracks up there I really appreciate the help. I may even upgrade the fronts from 40# to 60#.

Can you be sure you'll never put anything up on the roof? Otoh its not a big deal to add them later if you change your mind.

Reading your exact questions. My response is that you do not "need" them to lift the top. You'll do just fine unless you have really poor upper body strength. It's not that heavy. I think what others are saying is that at some point you may want to add stuff to the roof (like Solar which is the best thing I ever added to my Eagle shell). In that case, the struts will be very helpful.

I used the crank for awhile and still carry it...;but I have lifters installed now and all I can say is if you don't do it now you will be sorry latter.

The lift struts are nice and make the job super quick and super easy. I can't imagine hauling around a drill or other apparatus to raise the roof. Seems like a big hassle to save a few bucks.

I know you won't regret getting them.

I think it's highly likely you'd regret *not* getting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom