Freaky/Haunted Camper Porch LIght

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I hadn't tried to use the porch light on my 2005 FWC Hawk in years -- gave up in frustration when it stopped working or only worked intermittently, as I mentioned in that Exterior LED thread. Maybe I tried switching it on during my last camping trip in February, out of foolish optimism -- of course, it didn't work.

Earlier this week I drove my truck to run an errand -- I hadn't driven the truck in a month and rarely do in town, but I still had studded snow tires on the car and the studded-tires-legal season had ended the day before. Before I drove I reached into the camper and switched on the camper's electrical system so the truck could charge up the camper battery a bit.
That night I looked out the window of my house, and I noticed a gleam off the back of my camper -- "Must be the house porch light reflecting off the camper's rear window", I thought. I went outside and walked towards the camper: "What the hell?! The camper porch light is on! It hasn't worked in years!"
ohmy.gif
And yet it was on.
I switched it off, then switched it back on again -- it didn't light up again, of course.
rolleyes.gif
I got in the truck and drove to the store (still hadn't swapped out the car's studded tires).
Later that evening, I stepped out on my front porch to look at the sky as I always do before turning in for the night...and I saw that the camper porch light was on again.
blink.gif
What?!?! Had I left it on when I drove to the store earlier? Or had night-folk/homeless/vampires turned it on to light their shadowy world? I switched it off, then on again -- off/on/off/on -- it seemed to be working.

This morning it doesn't work anymore, of course.
craig333's suggestion of a flaky ground would fit these symptoms -- or other bad connection, I guess.

One thing I've learned from this weird experience is that if I troubleshoot this problem I don't need to wonder if the bulb is still OK.
biggrin.gif

If you put a 12v tester to the hot wire and you have power, then the ground is bad, or the bulb is bad.

Not all of the time, but maybe 90% of the time when a porch light doesn't work it is just the ground wire.

The best way to try and fix it ...

1. Spend a couple of dollars and buy a replacement bulb for it.

(even if it doesn't look burnt out, just replace it)

Worst case then you have a spare bulb for later.

2. Unscrew the ground wire.

Clean the screw hole the best you can.

Clean and maybe lightly sand the ring connector on ground wire if it is rusty or corroded.

Use a "new" screw to reattach the ground wire to the camper.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Happy Camping !

: )

craig333's suggestion of a flaky ground would fit these symptoms -- or other bad connection, I guess.

One thing I've learned from this weird experience is that if I troubleshoot this problem I don't need to wonder if the bulb is still OK.
biggrin.gif

Mark, both my porch light and my awning light are haunted like that. First the awning light went bonkers, then the porch light. I guess we'll have to give Stan's good suggestions a try, eh?

How is FULL retirement going?

Mine was acting up and it was the screws holding it to the camper were loose. Did not look loose but they were. Been good since.

I hadn't tried to use the porch light on my 2005 FWC Hawk in years -- gave up in frustration when it stopped working or only worked intermittently, as I mentioned in that Exterior LED thread. Maybe I tried switching it on during my last camping trip in February, out of foolish optimism -- of course, it didn't work.

Earlier this week I drove my truck to run an errand -- I hadn't driven the truck in a month and rarely do in town, but I still had studded snow tires on the car and the studded-tires-legal season had ended the day before. Before I drove I reached into the camper and switched on the camper's electrical system so the truck could charge up the camper battery a bit.
That night I looked out the window of my house, and I noticed a gleam off the back of my camper -- "Must be the house porch light reflecting off the camper's rear window", I thought. I went outside and walked towards the camper: "What the hell?! The camper porch light is on! It hasn't worked in years!"
ohmy.gif
And yet it was on.
I switched it off, then switched it back on again -- it didn't light up again, of course.
rolleyes.gif
I got in the truck and drove to the store (still hadn't swapped out the car's studded tires).
Later that evening, I stepped out on my front porch to look at the sky as I always do before turning in for the night...and I saw that the camper porch light was on again.
blink.gif
What?!?! Had I left it on when I drove to the store earlier? Or had night-folk/homeless/vampires turned it on to light their shadowy world? I switched it off, then on again -- off/on/off/on -- it seemed to be working.

biggrin.gif

Well, Mark, I now have both my porch light and my awning light working! The porch light started working after I moved the switch on/off three or for times. It seems to be those junky switches that are the problem. After checking bulbs, grounds, etc, in the awning light, I finally bought an entire new light surround (including bulb and switch) and that did the trick. Just screwed the new surround in place, put some caulk around it and I'm ready to go.

How long both fixes last is another matter!

Back
Top Bottom