Fresh water and Grey Water ?

XJINTX

Couple quick questions for those more experienced.

Do you add any additive to freshwater tank? I use freshwater tank on most trips not hose hookup. I will assume even though I drain after each trip that some water remains. Is there an additive or need for it? I don't smell anything or such just know bacteria not always evident.

Secondly, I have done the PVC storage mod for my grey water (love it). Last trip I waited a few days, by mistake, before draining and it did smell musty at sink. That said maybe that was in my mind ;) However, besides the Clorox that I added for the smell is there anything else that may work better?

I also add some bleach a couple of times a year and drain the FW tank (with the hose running water in) every so often! Also if you have a hot water heater -you need to check it because junk forms in it and it needs to be cleaned out also- just need to follow recommendations on how to do it for each type of HW heater! Grey water-just have my handy empty clorox bottle :) !

Smoke

longhorn1 said:
Roger, add a 1/4 cup of bleach a couple of times a year, run water through the system and drain.
Is this on the fresh water tank or the gray water collector?
I usually add a cap full or 2 of bleach to the fresh water tank when not in use for a while.
Thanks
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Is this on the fresh water tank or the gray water collector?
I usually add a cap full or 2 of bleach to the fresh water tank when not in use for a while.
Thanks
Frank
I add 1/4 cup into a gallon of water and dump into the fresh water tank. Drive around, fill 1/4 of the tank and run through all the lines, making sure to fill the hot water tank and run the hot water faucet.

couple of tablespoons of bleach in the freshwater (20gal) tank after draining the anti-freeze, fill, drive around to slosh it good, run water through the pump, then drain and refill 2x to flush out the chlorine taste. Drain tank between trips and refill just before heading out. I use one of those RV charcoal filters on my water hose when refilling too.

What Vic said...

You only need a couple of tablespoons of unscented, full strength bleach for a 20G fresh water tank.

Health officials recommend mixing the bleach in 1 gallon of water, pour that into the fresh water tank, and then fill your tank normally (I don't understand why). Drive around and let solution sit in the tank 24 hours. I drain and flush once with a full tank of fresh water.

I don't need to use antifreeze, but, I use bleach to kill any nasties taking refuge in my fresh water tank.

Gray water...
I use a 3.9 gallon collapsible water cube sourced from REI. We use eco/earth friendly soap so we can dump the gray water in a flower bed or around a tree.

Thanks guys!!! Going to need to check out draining my Hot Water tank. Mine's a 2015 and I've never checked :( Advmoto mentions unscented bleach... is this something I can buy at grocery store?

Should be able to buy Clorox or any generic brand bleach at the grocery store. Just be sure you are buying the unscented variety. Seems like manufacturers now offer all kinds of scents in detergent and bleach these days. We prefer all cleaning agents to be unscented, especially for the camper.

Here's the generic, inexpensive bleach at Safeway.

I've never drained my hot water tank on my '15 Hawk. I flush through the normal use plumbing a couple times a year. As I recall, there is a placard on the side of the hot water heater stating not to remove the plug. Don't know why. Seems like something I should remove since the placard says not too! :oops:

Advmoto18 said:
Should be able to buy Clorox or any generic brand bleach at the grocery store. Just be sure you are buying the unscented variety. Seems like manufacturers now offer all kinds of scents in detergent and bleach these days. We prefer all cleaning agents to be unscented, especially for the camper.

Here's the generic, inexpensive bleach at Safeway.

I've never drained my hot water tank on my '15 Hawk. I flush through the normal use plumbing a couple times a year. As I recall, there is a placard on the side of the hot water heater stating not to remove the plug. Don't know why. Seems like something I should remove since the placard says not too! :oops:

You can drain the hot water tank into the FWC plumbing and then dump this water out the system drain at the back of the camper.

Our heater is 6 gallons and all but about one gallon can be drained.

Back
Top Bottom