Fridge options???

smileyd

Advanced Member
I want to purchase a fridge but I am having a difficult time finding the one I want. I was going to get a 3 way fridge but the smallest one I could find (Dometic) would stick out, and I heard that the back of the fridge needs space to breath so it couldn't be flush with the wall. I am now thinking about getting a Norcold ac/dc 1.7 cu.ft.

What kind of fridge do you have in your camper?? Please give me some details on what my options are. Thanks camper friends.

Angelina

I ordered mine with the ice box and I use that as storage. An ice chest or two is fine for weekend trips. But, now that I'm considering longer trips, I wish I had got the fridge. Can you set one to freeze everything? I'm thinking with a freezer and ice chest I'd be good for at least a week.

fridge

Depends on the year camper that you have. The older FWC camper was made to put a Dometic 1.9 cubic foot refer in. The model number is RM2193L.

The newer FWC campers have the walls raised so that the 3.0 cubic foot refer will fit.

You are correct that you need some space behind the refer for it to work correctly. If there is not enough ventilation to dissipate the heat build up the refer will not work correctly. One way around this is to get a compressor type refer instead. The compressor type requires less ventilation, so in turn a larger refer can be installed. The only down side to the compressor types that I have seen is that they only run on 12 volt or 110 volt.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

Engel fridge

My new 2000 FWC Ranger has the one Ben mentions above. When I was looking for a FWC I would have just as soon found one without a fridge. I figured that the fridge takes up valuable storage space. And I have heard good things about the portable Engel fridge/freezers. There is good info here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/equipment_reviews/fridge/Research/index.php

Since I have one, I'll give it a try and see how it works. If I'm not satisfied I may remove the fridge, make the space into a pantry and get one of the Engels.

fridge

your camper apears to be a 1982 or older from the photo and your cabinet may be too narrow for a refer, However you can still put in a small one by building a small cabinet extension wall around the front of the refer. what i am trying to say is that back then fwc put in two width cabinets depending on the options that came with the factory camper. Have a nice day.

Marty

more advice

Hi,

The 1.9 dometic will not fit I have about 19 inched depth and the depth on the 1.9 dometic is 21 inches.

I will look into your suggestion Ben. Any other advice maybe on the 1.7 norcold?????

Norcold

I have heard good things about the Nor-Cold. I have never used one myself though so I can't tell you much about them. I know that when we were doing shows all over the place with FWC that I noticed the Nor-Cold seemed to be the standard in most of the boats that I looked at. I would expect them to hold up well if so many manufacturers used them under those conditions.

Sorry I can't be of more help on that one.

Sincerely,

Ben

extending the space

I think we are going to extend the space for the refridgerator out 4 inches. We don't think taking up the extra 4 inches will be a problem. We do however think having a fridge without propane would be.

Please continue to give us your advice. We are not dead set on this idea yet. Once we extend the space we will buy the Dometic 1.9 3-way compact refridgerator.

Thanks everyone,
Angelina

refer

Extending the space should not be a problem. One thing to keep in mind also while you have the camper apart and are making a spot for a refer are the vents on the outside. If you use the Dometic that we have been talking about there is an upper and lower vent that goes on outside. The upper vent is just a screw on vent and the lower one is actually a door also so that you can get to the controls on the refer.

If you need the part numbers for the vents, I can look them up for you.

One other consideration on a 3 way is the 110 power side of the refer. You can just pull the short cord out that comes with the refer through the bottom vent/door and plug it in.

You can also add a 110 box inside the refer area that the refer plugs into and then in turn have that box attached to a small breaker inside the camper with an outlet on the outside of the camper to plug a 110 cord into.

Couple of different ways to go with that one. Would be easier to explain over the phone if you need more information.

Sincerely,

Ben

Based on what I've read and heard from previous owners, the "cons" to a 3 way fridge that will be in a rig seeing off-road use, like over the topes in Baja, is that they only run when level. Get off-kilter in a camp spot and the 3 ways may not run.

The compressor based fridges, Engel, ARB, Waeco, Norcold & Dometic will run at any angle. The Engel's are offered now with a Two Zone compartment. Basically it's a fridge, with an individual freezer compartment stacked on top. These are pricey, as is any 12V fridge, but they're portable, which may be an appealing option.

I only have an icebox fridge for now. But eventually I will just use it for dry storage and install a 12V fridge that can be solidly mounted in the cab or camper. I would be hesitant to use a 3 way fridge in a vehicle that will see lots of off road miles.

off level refer

You have to be at a pretty good angle for the refer not to work right. In all the years that we have been in this business I have only heard of this happening two times.

In each case they had to take the refer out, turn it upside down for a day and then reinstall it and it worked fine.

It is something to take into consideration though on the type of camping and traveling that you will be doing with the camper.

Sincerely,

Ben

I think with all the research I have done, we are going to go with the Dometic rm2193. It has the smallest depth, it's available in the U.S. and is a 3 way fridge. So, we are going to build the refridgerator space out.

Have you noticed that Aussies have the best camping gear.

Back
Top Bottom