From "Traveling Torlets" to Rear Awnings

zonker

Advanced Member
Thanks to all the great folk on this website... most especially "The Fisherman"! Without his input our dreams would not have been realized. His idea of a wooden Porta Potti on wheels hit home with us. We liked it so much that we built one on a trailer that we will tow behind the truck. After we get ourselves situated in the campground we can take the "Porda Potty" off the trailer and roll it over to a really nice place... like an overlook or a beautiful shoreline on a lake. I cannot imagine anything better than to be able sit in the morning with a cup of coffee in one hand, a homemade McMuffin with Tofurkey bacon and egg beaters in the other and roll of "torlet paper" clasped between my knees... contemplating what the day is going to bring! Thanks Fisherman... you are the best!

Now onto rear awnings. We have a Kelty Carport from our canopy days. So since the weather was so wonderful we decided to try and put it to use. When we opened the door to the Hawk the wind and rain poured in. So I dug out 2 adjustable nylon webbing straps, 2 nylon webbing loops and 2 short cargo bungies. So here is my solution. In fact I liked it so much I think we will use it again sometime and will keep the components close at hand.

I realize I am probably just showing stuff that everyone has know for years, but I thought I would take a gamble and maybe be of help to someone.

I looped the 2 adjustable straps around the feet of the Yakima rack and fastened them to the Carport top cross bar and adjusted for height. Then I took the the 2 nylon loops and half-hitched them at the ends of the crossbar and ended with the 2 short bungies providing tension. Worked really well and was really quick to take down in the POURING rain!

Attachments

• Tarp1.jpg
    Tarp1.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 528
  • Tarp2.jpg
    Tarp2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 512
Having lived (and camped) in Oregon for many years, on two different iterations, and soon to make it a third, we can oh so well relate to camping in liquid sunshine. And on our recent journeys through Oregon in the winter, we would have to agree that half the reason to have a FWC is the heater.

We also have Kelty carport. We have been attaching the top to the roof rack (we have the FWC rack instead of the Yakima). However, moderate winds have been a real problem: the carport sometimes inverts. Attaching it lower down may significantly mitigate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom