Front camper window modification

pollux

Does FWC camper has an option for a front slide window in the camper instead of one piece glass like i have in my 2015 Eagle model?

During a recent trip to Utah, it was so hot during the day over 100F, i was thinking if i can open my truck's rear slide windows, turn on the engine, and blow the cool AC air from the truck into the camper window slot, i could enjoy the AC inside the camper. Anyway to remove the glass and change it to a slide window?

2KWwFEnhX47VrkIzV8vTcU.jpg

FWC removed the front slide as an option approx. 3 years ago because the windows leaked when driving in the rain and the window MFG. couldn't fix the issue, plus the number of people wanting the option wasn't that big.

Be careful running your truck too long when you are inside the camper.

Truck exhaust can creep in over time.

Not likely to do you harm for short periods.

But that said, I’ve had my carbon monoxide sensor go off because of it.

Made me think twice.

Stan@FourWheel said:
Be careful running your truck too long when you are inside the camper.

Truck exhaust can creep in over time.

Not likely to do you harm for short periods.

But that said, I’ve had my carbon monoxide sensor go off because of it.

Made me think twice.

I disabled my CO detector ....in my '16 Hawk right from the start it would sound the alarm in the middle of the night with nothing running....numerous spurious alarms are like crying 'wolf'... but I vent the camper when we are in it with the two roof Fantastic Fan vents...

Good advice not to run vehicle while stationary and you are in camper; campers are not air tight.

I have the sliding front window and yes, it will weep a little water when you are driving in the rain...a paper towel handles it fine.

But hey, I could be wrong! :D

Phil

The truck's A/C system is designed for the cab volume, not likely to make a big impact on the camper too. My grandparents had a GMC motorcoach and found that the dash A/C could barely keep them cool up front when it was only warm-ish outside, and could not do anything for the rest of the coach. Running the generator and the roof mounted A/C while driving was way more effective and had a almost no impact on their fuel economy.

If you drive through heavy rain at freeway speeds, it is amazing how much force + water is hitting that front window. We have the fixed front window and drove through a huge storm for several hours at 70mph, and the water was actually forced in through the weep holes in the bottom of the frame and filled up the interior "sill". I'm sure sliding windows can work, but it would be a risk for failure if you travel through weather.

Andy Douglass said:
If you drive through heavy rain at freeway speeds, it is amazing how much force + water is hitting that front window. We have the fixed front window and drove through a huge storm for several hours at 70mph, and the water was actually forced in through the weep holes in the bottom of the frame and filled up the interior "sill". I'm sure sliding windows can work, but it would be a risk for failure if you travel through weather.

yes, the weep holes seem to be the entry point...but we have a rack with gear and Yakima deflector on our cab which diverts the rain from hitting the front wall of the Hawk....suppose that helps keep water from forcing through the window...

We replaced the window on or 07 Grandby with a slider by this company. Pelland Enterprises. It was simple and they were very helpful with our measuring. The window does not leak at all. I have sprayed it full on with a hose many times. We plan to put one in our new Grandby that is on order. I talked to Four Wheel years ago about offering this window. I like the slider for airflow when it is raining outside our we are eating lunch in our camper on the road.

I was wondering if someone with a newer fleet shell could give me rough measurements of the front window? I am away from mine for a couple of weeks and I am interested in getting an estimate on an opening one. I have a 2019 fleet shell

Thanks,
Chris Walker

makalutoo said:
I was wondering if someone with a newer fleet shell could give me rough measurements of the front window? I am away from mine for a couple of weeks and I am interested in getting an estimate on an opening one. I have a 2019 fleet shell

Thanks,
Chris Walker
Contact Stan at FWC for the correct size.
Frank

Thanks for the info. I was wondering about this as well for the Grandby that we have on order. It would also be nice to have to be able to pass things through from truck to camper and vise-versa. I'm surprised FWC doesn't off it as an option.

DarinH said:
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about this as well for the Grandby that we have on order. It would also be nice to have to be able to pass things through from truck to camper and vise-versa. I'm surprised FWC doesn't off it as an option.
They did at one time. My understanding is they had significant problems with leaking, especially when driving in the rain.

Mine leaked. Replaced with a solid window. I think a better design would be no window. Warmer in cold weather and especially with a front dinette you can’t see anything out of anyway. My 2 cents.

I have one in my older Eagle but never have even opened it. We usually have stuff packed against the front wall so couldn't get to it even if I wanted to open it.

Outnabout said:
Mine leaked. Replaced with a solid window. I think a better design would be no window. Warmer in cold weather and especially with a front dinette you can’t see anything out of anyway. My 2 cents.
Totally agree. Hence the cabinets at the front of my Puma build!

Vic Harder said:
Totally agree. Hence the cabinets at the front of my Puma build!

We have the slider on a '16 Hawk and on our '05 Tundra and enjoy the access between the truck and the FWC...no leaks but some condensation under the right conditions...just our experience but no "significant" leaks to be sure..curtain over slider at night gives insulation and privacy....

Back
Top Bottom