Furnace Issues Atwood 8516-IV

tmeyers2010

Hi all,

I have been experiencing an issue with the furnace in my 2000 FWC Eagle. When I turn it on at the thermostat, the fan starts up like normal. I hear the clicking of the ignitor, hear combustion, and can feel a tiny bit of heat from the vent as well as heat from the exhaust. The ignitor keeps clicking like it hasn't yet lit, then stops clicking and the combustion stops. The ignitor cycles three times, each time igniting and each time extinguishing. I should add that the battery is fully charged and connected to a solar panel and the propane stove works normally.

After reading the furnace troubleshooting thread and many others, I see that the circuit board or the thermostat could be the culprit. Has anyone had this experience with their furnace? I have yet to take it to an RV shop as I am living out of the camper for the summer in a remote part of Washington. Which also means that it is cold, wet, and soggy in my FWC now! Which is fine because years ago I received the wisdom that you can be cold wet and miserable, or just cold and wet! Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks,
Tyler

Welcome, Tyler!

It's helpful that you included the model number of the furnace. Thank you.

That sounds like the problem Darren (the RV Works guy) is working on in the first video in this 'Good videos' post.

In any case, Darren does a great job of explaining his trouble-shooting process. Note how he concludes it has to be the burner side of the furnace...

Good videos of Atwood 85xx-IV furnace internals

Also-- see Ski3pin's photo-rific post about his 8516-IV repair. Note the tune-up kit in post 6.

Atwood Hydro Flame 8516-IV Furnace Repair

Also-

My furnace's unreliable start problem turned out to he the electrode

Hey Old Crow,

Thanks for the help there! I’ll have a look when I have some time off work and report back.

Thanks,
Tyler

Back
Top Bottom