FWC 12V Plug at Truck (What type?)

Josh41

New Fleet Shell coming next month. Is this the Atwood plug that I will need? The dealer said 10g and this is 8g. I already have a set up and just want to change the plug to match the FWC plug.

img_168583_0_ad7c0191bbdb0a257e91b992801cdae7.png

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks I believe there should be 3 leads. 12vdc charging, running lights and ground. Call your dealer to be sure.
This is just for the battery, the Fleet does not have running lights.

On a boat trolling motor setup, the 14366-6 would be the hot side and mounted to the boat. So I would assume that would be the correct one to mount on your truck. I think Bombsite's would be what 4 Wheel supplies. The male/female description is a little confusing. Normally I think the female side of a plug is the hot side, that way when it's not connected it can't short out. But in this case the female side has the prongs, but are protected by the cover, The male plug has the receptacles for the female prongs. Bass ackwards if you ask me. MinnKota uses the standard male/female type plug. Personally I'd consider using the MinnKota MKR-18 plug between the camper and the truck. It's twist lock, I think waterproof, and direct connection for the wires. No butt splices to fail.

Can't get the link to paste in but I used the Marinco plug/socket, it's avail. as a 3 or 2 wire system. If you have clearance lights on the camper the 3rd leg of the 3 wire unit can be used for the switched 12+ for the lights. Neg for the lights will be common to the camper neg.

I have a '14 Hawk and am about to help a buddy wire up his '12 Raven. Both have clearance lights.

Looking at my wires it appears I only have 2 wires heading into the engine compartment. I'm guessing his will be the same.

I bought the 3 wire system but I think I will only need 2 and the other can be taped off. Anyone know if I'm correct with this?

Oregon_Troutbum said:
I have a '14 Hawk and am about to help a buddy wire up his '12 Raven. Both have clearance lights.
Looking at my wires it appears I only have 2 wires heading into the engine compartment. I'm guessing his will be the same.
I bought the 3 wire system but I think I will only need 2 and the other can be taped off. Anyone know if I'm correct with this?
3d comes from tail light assembly. You need 3 to have clearance lights.

Thanks for the replies, my dealer says that FWC used 10 gauge wire from truck to camper, so I assume I should match from the truck battery to plug. How high of a fuse should I put at the truck battery to protect from shorts, but allow the battery to charge?
Josh

Josh41 said:
Thanks for the replies, my dealer says that FWC used 10 gauge wire from truck to camper, so I assume I should match from the truck battery to plug. How high of a fuse should I put at the truck battery to protect from shorts, but allow the battery to charge?
Josh
That FWC still uses a 10 gauge wire is lame. Now would be the time to upgrade it if you want to charge better off the alternator.

The Fleet comes with a BlueSeas separator, not sure which model, should be getting the camper in a few weeks. Makes sense to increase the wire size, maybe replace FWC to the isolator too. Am I right that I need a fuse at the truck battery? I looked at the National Luna install directions, it looks like they have a 100amp fuse between the truck battery and camper battery. From what I can gather, it seems that I should have the 100 amp fuse at the truck battery to avoid cooking it if the wires from truck battery to camper chafe.

Back
Top Bottom