FWC back up camera...help

Doff

Advanced Member
Need some quick advice or info...

We pick up our new Hawk FWC in Woodland to be installed onto our 2020 F250 in 10 days. FWC called today to ask us some details about our truck for installing the camper back up camera. They explained to me that the new ford f250 beds are SLIGHTLY longer than the older ones, so the hawk camper doesn't hang out over the bed a few inches like they used to. This means they can't install the camera on the camper, but would install it on the bumper by the license plate.

He did give us the idea that we could leave the tailgate on and if we modified the rubber bumpers on the end of the camper that prevent it from hitting the back of the truck bed/ cab we could actually keep our tailgate one and close it. This would be awesome because it would allow us to keep/ use the factory installed back up camera AND our tailgate has a step that slides out which would be a perfect step up into the camper.

Heres the question....has anyone else modified the rubber bumpers on their camper so that the camper slides in the bed a little further? If so, was it easy? Did you just replace the bumpers? What did you replace them with?

thanks for any input you can provide

Since you are picking it up from the factory, it sounds like you are saying they will do the standard install but if you want to shorten the bumper blocks you will have to do it yourself when you get home, is that correct? Seems to me that they should be able to shave the bumper blocks and install it the way you want it. I got mine years ago and had them mailed to me. I used a hacksaw to cut off an inch of rubber. This was not for your particular application on a Ford, but you get the idea. Perhaps the newer bumpers are different. There needs to be more consideration if you need to cut the bumpers shorter as I'm not sure if there's any metal reinforcement buried deep in the rubber. You should also consider the angle of the turnbuckles between the camper and the eye bolts. Does moving the camper forward change things enough to consider where the eyebolts are mounted? Probably not, but just something to consider.

I cut 1" off my front rubber bumpers with a hack saw. It was simple. Just use a new/sharp blade. It only takes a few minutes for each one. Obviously, it's important to make sure they end up equal size.

Now I only have a 1" gap between the front wall of my camper and the top-inside bed rail. It fits much nicer.

20160423_180456.jpgUsing a band saw gets you a nice cut, I cut my down to move camper forward , tail gate still off. I installed factory camera into lower panel of bed.

This winter I totaled our 2000 F-150, plowed into the back of a Silverado in a whiteout. I’m not proud of that at all, and I’m glad nobody got hurt because I really nailed that Chevy. The Hawk was on the truck at the time and sustained no damage. I had considered trimming my bumpers down but wow I’m sure glad I didn’t. I’m confident that they helped save the camper. Obviously nobody plans on things like this but I know they saved the camper, just saying.

On my '17 Hawk I cut off approximately 1-3/4 inches of rubber from the front of each bumper; just enough so that the bolts that hold the rubber bumper to the camper don't protrude beyond rubber & contact the truck bed.

I then took the removed rubber blocks and bolted each to a 2"x3" wood block (pre-coated with flex seal) and fitted these 'blocks' between each wheel well & the camper body - no more side-to-side movement here! I ended up with about 7/8" or so between the camper & front bed rail.

I've got pics on another computer, I'll post them if anyone's interested. :)

I cut mine down with a hacksaw as well, probably 1" or more to bring it further in at the back near the tailgate as well as the front.
Been that way 5 years and no problem at all as well as better fit in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom