FWC canvas replacement

cwdtmmrs

I know there have been several treads on this subject, but I can't seem to find them since I am technologically challenged.

I have an older FWC Ranger II (think Eagle) that needs the canvas replaced. Back in January I called the nice folks at ATC campers and ordered a replacement. My plan was to drive up to the factory from SoCal and have it install there, but in the meantime an opening for a knee replacement surgery that had been cancelled (COVID) came up so now I have a new knee as of 6weeks ago. I though I would still be able to make the 1,000 mile round trip, but I just don't think I am up for it yet. I guess I could reschedule, but now wondering how difficult a job it is to install myself. I have a shop with tools and much better than average skills.

I would like input from any folks out there that have actually successfully tackled the canvas/vinyl replacement. How tough was it?

Thank you,
Tim

Thanks, I saw that thread. Not much on the actual canvas installation.

CWDT,

Thought I’d give you some feedback on side liner vinyl replacement. On my build, I purchased the materials, cut and sewed a new side liner. That was a fairly challenging task in itself, but was successfully accomplished. I did have to make an adjustment to the overall diameter, but once that was addressed, I was able to move onto installation.

I didn’t have a helper, which would be ideal, but the installation went pretty well. I think my build thread will provide much more detail than I can go back into now, so I’ve attached it below, starting on page #145. Removal of your old side liner would be somewhat the reverse. You will have to remove the upper and lower trim rings that fasten the vinyl down, which will include removing any sealant from the top trim ring first. I would emphasize that you will want to tuck the new liner under the roof aluminum top by about one inch, fold the aluminum top over the liner, and staple it back down before reinstalling the the trim ring. I go over this in the thread.

when you remove the old liner, the roof will not stay up on its own, as it will try to flop forward or backward, so installing with only one end up at a time is the way to go. Finally, I would recommend having the camper on the ground, or on a dolly so you can have the ability to reach the top without too much difficulty.

I hope this might be helpful in assessing If you’re up to it. If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

Good luck!

Poky

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12116-full-build-out-reconstructing-a-1981-grandby-into-a-custom-hawk/page-15

I had ATC do mine quite a few years ago (5?) and to be honest, I wouldn't try it myself unless I had help and a lot of time. Of course, I'm a bit closer than you to them but I pulled in one morning and before I left, they had the roof off and were working on it. Next morning... done. I also had the push boards replaced at the same time since it was easy for them to do it while the roof was off and mine had some issues. I don't remember the cost but it wasn't too crazy. I'm not sure if they are using different materials now either but that'd be something to ask. I know the way they do the 'storm' windows is different my older Eagle (2001) and it has pros/cons. There's an external flap that velcro's on when you have bad weather so you have to "plan ahead". It completely blocks all light (you could keep it somewhat open but then you'd lose the rain protection). Theory is that you don't need it much. We've had some leakage around the seams w/o the flaps on so sealed them but I think the water was coming in along the bottom of the clear windows (building up on that seam flap and then flowing in). Anyway, after 5 years or so we're seeing some wear on the edges, etc. We treat it with 303 quite a bit and also use our camper quite a bit so can't complain too much but wish it was more durable.

The other thing you might consider is while the roof is off: a) adding another vent b: replacing insulation in the roof c) re-wiring and/or checking the wires d) replacing headliner

Good luck.

Kevin

Thanks for the post Kevin. Some very good thoughts indeed. My liner is still in decent shape considering it is the original from 1993. I've owned the camper for 14 years and spent a lot of nights camping. Basically all of the Velcro is worn out now. I have 1 vent with a small fan. Never had any condensation and never seen the need for an upgraded fan. Headliner is good. No solar.

I've read several of the build threads and spoke with Marty yesterday at ATC and have decided to have the liner shipped and try the install myself. I would rather have ATC do the installation, but I have much better than average skills and a complete shop with all of the necessary tools. If I get into trouble, I will pack up and head to Sacramento and let the pros bail me out!

Thanks to everyone that posted!

Tim

On my 1998 Ranger ll, the material that was used was a gray vinyl that was completely opaque. On my newer 2016 Grandby, the material is a white vinyl that is translucent. That was a huge disappointment to both of us since we sleep better when it is dark. I'm not sure what material ATC is using. My wife made dark out curtains for our trip to Alaska where the sun doesn't set in the summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom