FWC Fleet- Wing replacement/repair

Throwing the question out there: Has anybody replaced just the upper level wing on their fwc camper? I don't have time presently to replace the whole floor pack but need to either reinforce the wing with some new plywood or replace it.
I would see reinforcing it as just sandwiching the old rotten wood between two new pieces of plywood and then caulking the joints that allowed the old wood to rot in the first place. Simple, easy effective. That being said, is it worth my time to take off all the exterior trim, remove the old piece of wood and then replace? Anybody know how much time this takes? I have access to all the tools and could make time if it's worth it. Otherwise, going simple seems legit. Thanks for the thoughts in advance!
Luke
Note: The wood is only rotten and soft for the last 6 inches of the wing. In the photo, it all looks rotten, but it is fairly minimal. The paint has peeled from the whole bottom of the camper. Also, this is bolted into the truck, so the wings are not bearing the brunt of the weight.
IMG_0866.JPG

I replaced that portion of the floor pack on our first camper. It was a job as it was on the opposite side and I removed cabinets to get to it. It took me a long weekend. I glued and screwed it to the remaining floor pack. A few of the screws into the aluminum framing were broken or severely rusted. Remove the old piece slowly and carefully looking for screws or staples you missed. If you go this route, that's the time to carefully look over the rest of the floor pack plywood. I did post photos on the forum here somewhere. I was unable to find the topic doing a quick search, sorry.

Nearlyroadready said:
Throwing the question out there: Has anybody replaced just the upper level wing on their fwc camper? I don't have time presently to replace the whole floor pack but need to either reinforce the wing with some new plywood or replace it.
I would see reinforcing it as just sandwiching the old rotten wood between two new pieces of plywood and then caulking the joints that allowed the old wood to rot in the first place. Simple, easy effective. That being said, is it worth my time to take off all the exterior trim, remove the old piece of wood and then replace? Anybody know how much time this takes? I have access to all the tools and could make time if it's worth it. Otherwise, going simple seems legit. Thanks for the thoughts in advance!
Luke
Note: The wood is only rotten and soft for the last 6 inches of the wing. In the photo, it all looks rotten, but it is fairly minimal. The paint has peeled from the whole bottom of the camper. Also, this is bolted into the truck, so the wings are not bearing the brunt of the weight.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0866.JPG
Question,Luke. What caused that rot?
Frank

Hey Frank,
I believe that there is a corner that has allowed water to leak in for who-knows how long. There is some separation there that seems like the obvious culprit since the rot starts at that corner and then spreads outwards.

Last night I sandwiched the top and bottom of the wings in the problem areas with 3/8" plywood to add structural support. I will upload photos tonight of the finished product so that others can see how it turned out. Overall a very simple fix that should last a long time. Next up, caulk that corner and the rest of the trim and the exterior should be good to go.
Thanks for all the input,
L

Nearlyroadready said:
Hey Frank,
I believe that there is a corner that has allowed water to leak in for who-knows how long. There is some separation there that seems like the obvious culprit since the rot starts at that corner and then spreads outwards.

Last night I sandwiched the top and bottom of the wings in the problem areas with 3/8" plywood to add structural support. I will upload photos tonight of the finished product so that others can see how it turned out. Overall a very simple fix that should last a long time. Next up, caulk that corner and the rest of the trim and the exterior should be good to go.
Thanks for all the input,
L
Thanks L. When I have the chance I'll have to make sure I have good caulking there.
Frank

I did the front corner as well, but it looks exactly the same, so no reason to post it. I left room between the underwing trim and the plywood just in case I need to remove it for any reason. Also, on both boards, I spread a liberal amount of liquid nails construction adhesive so it's pretty permanent. See the pictures below of the inside and outside of the sandwich on the wing and then the problem corner. Check yo' corners!

Attachments

• IMG_0867.JPG
    IMG_0867.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 210
Back
Top Bottom