FWC Hawk - new camper smell?

Karlton

I am super excited to own a new Hawk and be a member of the forum. My new FWC Hawk has a ‘new camper smell’ that I didn’t notice it so much on our first trip camping in the Sawtooths in Idaho. However, back home where it is a bit warmer, I’ve noticed it more. I’ve read that formaldehyde is a product in many industrial glues and can have a potent smell. I’ve searched the forum and didn’t come up with anything on the smell. Other websites have suggested heating up the interior of the camper for 12 hours to ‘burn off’ the glue smell. Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

Maybe call Stan out at FWC? I honestly do not remember the smell in mine. Are you able to store with top up and windows open? Maybe that's why mine dissipated quickly?

Don't think you have anything to worry about. I didn't notice it in my 2014 Grandby. Like a new car, give it time. Not sure formaldehyde is allowed in construction materials any longer. Happy camping. jd

It will go away pretty soon. Opening some windows or vents and letting it breath really seems to help.

We've had our hawk for a couple months and it still has the strong new smell, but it is going away. We use it every weekend so it's getting aired out. Heat does make it more intense. And it's always built up after sitting closed up. The more you can air it out, the faster it will go away.

Pop the roof, open the windows and vents, and let it air out if it bothers you.

Believe it or not 20 years on ours still sometimes smells a bit "like California" (where we first picked it up). It's particularly noticeable after a period of absence like each year's season opener but also sometimes after sitting in the heat.

Agree with prob the vinyl sides or (vinyl ?) fake wood membrane.

Years ago in small town fast food restaurant, potatos were peeled, cut into fries, placed in container with water + some formaldehyde to keep them from turning dark before being cooked. Don't know if that was commonplace then or may even being done now. Had a summer job there and recognized the smell from biology lab.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom