FWC Hawk with mods

Turbocity tom

Hi Everyone,

Long time “lurker” here and an even longer time Four Wheel pop-up owner. Finally had time to put some picture together of my rig.

camperweb4.jpg

1990 Chevy K1500 (purchased new) It has so many modifications that I could right a book on it- if I had the time.

It has a 1992 454SS engine (modified) and the 4L80E trans swapped (all certified by the CAL smog referee) 340HP/ 520lb/ft torque.

The camper is a 1996 Hawk that I have made a lot of modifications to also. Some I have not seen here.

dinetteweb1.jpg

I believe that I did the first dinette conversion in 1997. Used all the original materials from the couch (even the upholstery material)and made the seat back supports and the table supports from steel.
dinetteweb2.jpg

dinetteweb4.jpg

dinetteweb5.jpg

We actually stand on the table to get into the bed. It is very strong.

dinetteweb3.jpg

I had made my seat backs smaller than the one’s they are making today- I think that it gives more usable interior space. I redid the upholstery a couple of years ago to update the look. I find that this arrangement works very well for the wife and I. We have not had the need to supply a bed for anyone else, so don’t miss the lower couch.

One of the other major changes was to use a queen sized “hide-a-bed” mattress in place of the FWC foam.

bedweb1.jpg

It is designed to fold and fits perfectly. This bed has provided some of the best nights sleep. It is VERY comfortable. We travel with the bed extended /top down. There is still enough room to keep the pillows and a thinner sleeping bag up there (top down)

I have converted the water system a couple of times. One using a SureFlo demand pressure system- way too noisy- I currently use the small constant flow pump and turn it on/off as needed. I also changed out the facet for a “bar” style single lever unit. It sets high enough to get pans and bottle under. The water volume works perfect. I don’t have a water heater, usually just heat it on the stove when needed.

cabinetweb1.jpg

I added the Wave heater under the refrigerator.

cabinetweb2.jpg

Originally I installed a Wave 3 there and it worked OK, but never really heated things up. It would take the “chill” off in the morning. I replaced the Wave 3 with a Wave 6- I am much happier with the performance. I can run it on high for 10 15 minutes, then go to low and really keep it warm inside. We don’t camp much in the snow- most of our camping is desert and it can get really cold.

I have installed a JVC cd/DVD player and use a 13” LCD flat screen when we need entertainment. XM radio too.

We use our camper a lot and it has been very dependable. We have not had any issues with the appliances. I did have to reseal around the upper edge of the top. It did start leaking into the bed area.

camperweb1.jpg

camperweb3.jpg

camperweb2.jpg

camperweb5.jpg

camperweb6.jpg

camperweb7.jpg

Having lunch with the granddaughter
alunchweb1.jpg

Thanks for looking and if you have any comments/ questions let me know

Thanks Tom

Love it, thanks for sharing and WELCOME! Makes me want to go camping....two weeks until our next weekend adventure.

Welcome to WTW, TT!
Great job of introducing yourself -- your rig, anyway. :)

Always interesting to see what people have done customizing their campers.

Hi Tom,

Glad you finally got onto WTW with photos of your custom FWC set up.

I first met Tom via our shared interest and ownership of Honda CT Trail bikes.
Tom has done some very neat engine mods to his CT.

And, I should mention (without his permission) that Tom owns TCI Products (Dual Sport Adventure Accessories,
Racks, Luggage, Panniers, Skid Plates, Windscreens and Accessories...), so if you're into dual sport adventure motorcycles and need some accessories, talk to Tom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tom are you going to join us in Death Valley for the Honda CT Trail Ride at the end of March?

Nice job, and nice motor. How is the mpg?

Hi, Thanks

This is never going to win any fuel economy contests (unless it's how much it can use) LOL

On a good day, light load, no wind 11.5-12.0mpg On a bad day 7.5mpg

In comparison, my buddy's diesel(white truck/ FWC in one of the pictures) gets 16-17 mpg on a good day and 12 mpg on bad. we have compared on several trips over the same roads.

I have never worried about the MPG because it does everything that I ask of it- I don't have to baby it up any hill.

The difference of that 5 mpg isn't much when your talking 50K for a new truck- I can buy a lot of fuel for that.

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

Glad you finally got onto WTW with photos of your custom FWC set up.

I first met Tom via our shared interest and ownership of Honda CT Trail bikes.
Tom has done some very neat engine mods to his CT.

And, I should mention (without his permission) that Tom owns TCI Products (Dual Sport Adventure Accessories,
Racks, Luggage, Panniers, Skid Plates, Windscreens and Accessories...), so if you're into dual sport adventure motorcycles and need some accessories, talk to Tom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tom are you going to join us in Death Valley for the Honda CT Trail Ride at the end of March?

Funny, I was just looking at that to fit in the schedule. I would like to make it as it sounds like a good time.

Thanks Tom

Hi, Thanks

The difference of that 5 mpg isn't much when your talking 50K for a new truck- I can buy a lot of fuel for that.

Thanks Tom

Agree :D Bet I've bought some items from TCI for my DR650, maybe will get some parts for my TE250 if your TE310 parts would work :) I think the DR will head to DV next week.

Great looking truck & camper !

:)

Here is a "blast from the past"

(see picture below)

I remember that custom seating.

Attachments

• customseat - cust. made.jpg
    customseat - cust. made.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 180
Great looking truck & camper !

:)

Here is a "blast from the past"

(see picture below)

I remember that custom seating.

WOW- That is from way back when it was first finished. Lot's more changes since then.

I really like the new grey colors in the new campers. I am considering re doing the interior of mine the same way.

My wife works for the company the makes "Zenolite" acrylic panels and I might try working with that. Would give a very modern look.

Thanks Tom

Thanks to everyone, hope to spend a little more time here......

Just spent a couple of days camping at Pinnacles National park. My FWC works better today than it did 16 years ago when I got it.

Thanks Tom

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed your pictures and upgrades you have made to your Hawk.

I am buying my first 4WC the end of this month - 4WC Fleet Shell (75" wide). My question is about the stock mattress. Since you switched to a Hide-a-bed mattress I wonder how much support the stock one provides? Did you switch because of no support? or another reason.

4WC will be extending the bed further into the cabin so two people I can sleep fore and aft as well as one person side to side. I planned to cut the stock mattress to queen size configuration which will give me about 12" empty space for linen/clothes storage and allow for fitted sheet on bed.

Regards, Jim

Back
Top Bottom