FWC hawk ?

longboardcr

I was wondering if someone could give me any information on the power supply cord hanging out of a 2007 FWC hawk model. I have never used this type of prong before. Do I need to run a line from the starter under the hood? Also, where would the aux. battery hook up be found. I see the converter under the sink area but don't know where the solenoid would be mounted. Lastly, I see a large water tank forward under the cushion seat area but I also see one almost directly next to the sink drain.What is that for and is it for an option that I don't have?
Looking forward to posting pictures of my new used Hawk. Unfornately, here in Pennsylvania we got a solid 10" of snow last night and she's buried.

Welcome.

You might want to call FWC...they have an install kit that may help you locate/source all the parts you'll need to hook yer Hawk up.

As far as the second "tank" near the sink drain....I think what you may be seeing is the backside of the compartment that holds the hot water heater....which is accessible from the outside.

sounds like it's time to head South or buy skis. LOL

good luck

mtn

Hey longboardcr

Welcome to the FWC family.

:)

It sounds like you have some things to learn (this is very common for our customers).

Hang in there, take your time, don't guess with wiring, and ask lots of questions as you go.

We have a link to the owners manual that might help a little, located here ...

http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/currentownersmanual.pdf

The black 3 prong plug on the driver's side (coiled up in the outside storage compartment box) is how you can plug the camper in to your garage, a generator, or a campsite that has a power supply available. That is NOT a 220v plug. That plug is a normal house current 110/120v plug, but it has a different connector on the end because it is a 30amp connector. Just a heavier duty plug than what you would have for a small house appliance. They make small adaptors you should be able to buy at Wal-Mart or your local RV store, so you can plug it in to any ol' house electric outlet.

(see attached picture of what the adaptor looks like)

If you are going to add an aux. battery system to the camper, you might want to call Terry in our service dept. and see if he can walk you through it over the phone.

FWC Service Dept. 1-800-242-1442 (Ask for Terry)

It is not hard, but it will probably be confusing if you have never done it before.

When you are hooking the camper up to your truck battery, it has nothing to do with the 30amp power converter inside the camper. Do not hook any wires up to that. The camper to truck wiring is usually located on the outside of the camper (front / driver's side corner).

The white plastic water tank looking thing under your sink is the backside of your outside storge box (where the extension cord is coiled up). It is not another water tank.

Hope this helps get you started a bit.

Happy Camping !

:)

stan the man

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if someone could give me any information on the power supply cord hanging out of a 2007 FWC hawk model. I have never used this type of prong before. Do I need to run a line from the starter under the hood? Also, where would the aux. battery hook up be found. I see the converter under the sink area but don't know where the solenoid would be mounted. Lastly, I see a large water tank forward under the cushion seat area but I also see one almost directly next to the sink drain.What is that for and is it for an option that I don't have?
Looking forward to posting pictures of my new used Hawk. Unfornately, here in Pennsylvania we got a solid 10" of snow last night and she's buried.

Attachments

• 30Amp to 15Amp Plug.gif
    30Amp to 15Amp Plug.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 139
I believe the cord you're looking at is the 12V input to the camper. The plug is a trolling motor plug from Marinco http://www.marinco.com/product/sealink-deluxe-12-volt-receptacle-plug

Normally the receptacle is mounted in the truck bed and hooked to the vehicle battery through a 30 amp breaker. I believe FWC uses the white = positive / black = negative system.

Stan and Mtn thanks for the reply. I was trying to make sense of everything in the snow at dark. In retrospect the post reads pretty bad. So, thanks again for all the patience. Stan no question... I have got a lot to learn. My wife reminds me of that everyday :oops: Camelracer yes that's the plug I never saw one before. I talked to Terry at FWC and he told me where I can find the other end for hook up to the truck battery. The thing that stumped me the most was that in the pile of literature I received with the camper was a warranty for a solenoid part. I thought you could use one instead of a separator. Unfortunately, I think it was mounted in the truck of the previous owner. which means I still need a separator, a glass mat battery, and a inline fuse. I was going to split that off of the positive coming in to the truck. If anybody thinks that's not a good idea, I would like to hear other suggestions as well.

Cheers,
longboardcr

longboardcr

You may already have a separator mounted in the camper. On my Granby it's located on the inside wall to the left of the water tank under the cabinet. I'm not sure it came standard on all campers or was part of the battery option.

longboardcr

You may already have a separator mounted in the camper. On my Granby it's located on the inside wall to the left of the water tank under the cabinet. I'm not sure it came standard on all campers or was part of the battery option.

Here is a picture of the area camelracer is talking about. It is the lower, right hand corner of the cabinet face. In the picture I have removed the doors over the water tank....as well as the small wood panel that the separater is mounted under. One picture is to show you where to look, the other one shows the separator (at the very top of the picture with all the wires going to it). The device in the back is my solar charge controller....the separator is at the very top of the picture.

It's my guess if you have the plug-in cord for the camper...you already have the separator.

Attachments

• under_cabinet.JPG
    under_cabinet.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 223
  • separator.JPG
    separator.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 202
Here is a picture of the area camelracer is talking about. It is the lower, right hand corner of the cabinet face. In the picture I have removed the doors over the water tank....as well as the small wood panel that the separater is mounted under. One picture is to show you where to look, the other one shows the separator (at the very top of the picture with all the wires going to it). The device in the back is my solar charge controller....the separator is at the very top of the picture.

It's my guess if you have the plug-in cord for the camper...you already have the separator.

Leadsled and or Camelracer,
I just received my Sure power separator this week(model 1314 200amp). I also ordered and received a 12volt marinco receptacle catalog# 12VBR. This is the end coming from the truck battery. Tommorow I'll pick up the 10 gauge 2 wire (stranded). First question, where or how is the best way to run the wire from the starter battery to the bed? I obviously want to plug the Male side in coming from the FWC. Second question, If I mount the separator in the driver side front of the camper...next to the water tank, on the side where most put their auxillary battery, how do I hook up to the inverter/converter? I can't mount my separator where you have yours because that is where my sur flow electric water pump is located. I do see two wires under there, one pink and one black and they don't seem to be connected to anything yet. What are they for? Any help would be great.

longboardcr

First question, where or how is the best way to run the wire from the starter battery to the bed?

I put mine in a wiring loom for extra protection and wrapped then with electrical tape, then snake it through the upper underside of the truck along the frame ran zip tying it along as I went.

Thanks Pods8,
I'll put the wire loom on the list as well. Where should I punch through the bed? Inside the front or side? /truck is a 2002 F250 crew cab.

On my dodge there was a diagonal portion where the side met the front and I happened to like the looks of that area (and it had good access to the back side) for the hard plug mount I was installing.

Adjust to your needs/plug accordingly. If I was just doing a loose wire plug that wasn't specifically mounted I'd probably look at seeing if going through one of the plastic drain plugs would work out rather than drilling the metal if I didn't need to. Depending on where you are connecting into the camper you can also come up between the cab/bed if that happens to work for you. Or off the top of my head I can't recall if those holes in the top of the bed side rails have access from the bottom.

Long story short go take a look at what you have to work with and see if anything good jumps at you.

Longboardcr,

My installation isn't normal in that I have the camper batteries mounted under the truck bed. As a result I mounted the Surepower separator on the firewall. I came off the + driver's side battery thru a 30 amp breaker to the separator. From the separator the wires followed the frame to the camper batteries and then up to the receptacle mounted in the left side of the bed.

The 2 wires you mentioned that don't seem to go anywhere are probably for the solar panel option.

Back
Top Bottom