FWC Option Preferences

White Dog

If I may, I would like to expand a bit on Ramblinman's thread 'Ordering Soon'

I too am about to put pen-to-cheque and place my order for a FWC. Personally, I like their a la carte approach. Nearly all the extras are options that can be added individually. I would love to here from the experienced users, so here are three questions:

1) Which options do you have that you just wouldn't be willing to live without?

2) Which options do you have that haven't worked out or been worth the price?

3) Which additional options would you order if you had to do it all over again?

Here's a fourth question just in case Stan would like a bit more feedback:

4) What options are not currently available that you would like to see FWC offer?

Of course, I would like to hear why you make the suggestions you do.

Kind of a big topic I know but take any part you like and have a go.

Here's my general camper preferences: Get at least one fantastic fan. Screen door is nice. 12V compressor fridge is now my preference. I'm trying out the atwood 8012 (1.8amps) in my new camper, I like having a force air fridge. I'm using kaper II led lighting in the new build, just a couple extra bucks.

I don't really use my awning much. On my build I think I'll do and awning track like chnlisle did rather than an expensive factory type awning.

That's what I got off the top of my head.

A couple of suggestions:

Skip the factory furnace and get a Wave 3 or 6. It will save battery and you won't have a noisy appliance in close proximity. We've got both right now, but are only using the Wave.

We like the couch, but haven't used the dinette. As Suni has said, the space behind the couch is an excellent catch-all for storage. It's where our pantry basket, hiking poles, collapsible chairs, Zodi shower, mscl jackets and whatnot are placed. PLUS, there's the under couch storage where our Webber Q, Wave heater, military shovel, hiking shoes, andbeer/wine are stored. You get the idea. The couch is our mini-storage unit on wheels. :)

Go with LED light fixtures or incandescent which you can swap to LED later. I don't think fluorescent is a bargain, and don't particularly like the quality of the light.

Home-made arctic pack from reflectix is $50 and works great. It takes one minute to put up or take down. A bargain.

Agree with at least one fantastic fan. That's all we have and it's fine for Nor Cal and Nevada. Maybe a hotter clime would dictate a second unit.

Get the Yakima rack system if you can swing it. I've used mine for everything from bikes to 'yaks to spare tire storage in a pinch. They're adjustable and removable in a flash. I can still think of other things I might do, like more fuel storage up there.

Figure out a way to carry extra fuel. I bolted a 12"x12" aluminum box to the back of my camper to fit a 5 gal. square container. It's been extra useful for trash, firewood duffel, shoes, dog stuff, etc. We don't always carry extra fuel, but we use the outdoor box all the time. Photos of this are in my galleries. I also like the rotoplax system which HomeSkillet and someone else here has used. Very slick.

Best of luck with setting up your new rig. Photos are required! :D

White Dog,

Great thread. I have no experience with campers or any RV. Like you, I am Canadian and I hope to be putting my order in shortly. I am currently in Sacramento and I have visited both FWC and ATC. Things were so simple when I just had to ponder what FWC had do offer. After visiting ATC I realized that they make a great simple camper. Like others have reported here, the fellas at ATC are fantastic. They event stayed late to answer all my questions as I could only come later due to my work schedule. (I am here on business)

Long story short, ATC really opened my eyes. Their K.I.S.S approach really makes sense. What they told me is to consider that all the extra options quickly add weight and take up space. Things like the hot water heater takes up valuable storage space. I think it was Overland Hadley that said you can heat water up on the stove. Since I will likely be using my camper in cold weather for the most part I will likely not be using the water tank that would freeze. ATC also offers a 16000 BTU furnace as opposed to FWC's 12000 BTU. ATC offers a wider door depending on the model.

ATC just seems to do some little things that really seem to matter.

I will be going back to FWC tomorrow for a second time to plan further.

Just a few comments on the 16,000 vs. 12,000 BTU furnace. The 12,000 ought to be more than enough for a small camper space (even in Canada, I suspect) and it draws fewer amps and is quieter. I have the 16,000 BTU furnace, and someday I would like to replace it with either a 12,000 BTU version or a Wave 3. Having said that, there is really nothing wrong with the 16,000 BTU furnace except for it's current draw, and some folks don't like the noise.

Z-Man,

According to Atwood's own site;
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/furnaces/MPD%2032072%20SP%201.08.pdf

Both the 16k and the 12k use the exact amount of wattage and draw the same amperage although the 12k cost less. They do list a 12k that uses 1.8 amps but after talking with the Atwood folks several months back they said it is substantially less efficient and is not the one used by either ATC or 4wc. Those are Atwood's words not mine.

Z-Man,

According to Atwood's own site;
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/furnaces/MPD%2032072%20SP%201.08.pdf

Both the 16k and the 12k use the exact amount of wattage and draw the same amperage although the 12k cost less. They do list a 12k that uses 1.8 amps but after talking with the Atwood folks several months back they said it is substantially less efficient and is not the one used by either ATC or 4wc. Those are Atwood's words not mine.

Less efficent or just doesn't have a more powerful fan to push air through ducting and is only a front discharge? That's mainly what I'm seeing/suspect. I doubt any other aspect of the design is different other than the fan. I'll be giving that one a shot in my build but probably won't have a build report completed for some time... :p

That said I suspect if you did want the 8012 model that ATC would install it for you?

Am I right to expect that the 16000 BTU furnace will make my camper warmer in freezing temps? I am hoping to use the camper well in to November.

From what I am reading it sounds as though they both have the same amp draw but the 16000 BTU will provide more heat for my camper.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I have ZERO experience with this kind of stuff.

The ATC furnace may be the single reason I go with ATC as opposed to FWC. I also like how ATC's furnace vents are lower and blow on the floor first.

Off to FWC factory for the first time. Who knows I will probably change my mind after leaving the FWC. I guess these are good problems to have! :cool:

Hi,
I have the Atwood 8012-II in my camper, it is the 12K BTU and it is listed at 1.8 AMP. It was factory installed at FWC in November of 2010.
I've taken it in some pretty cold weather and it does keep the camper warm when it is on, but these campers do not retain heat well due to the fabric siding. I think you would need the arctic pack if you are winter camping a lot.

The 12K BTU unit is fairly quiet and puts out good heat really fast.

I don't have any experience with the 16K BTU model so I can't compare them.

Roger

Am I right to expect that the 16000 BTU furnace will make my camper warmer in freezing temps? I am hoping to use the camper well in to November.

From what I am reading it sounds as though they both have the same amp draw but the 16000 BTU will provide more heat for my camper.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I have ZERO experience with this kind of stuff.

The ATC furnace may be the single reason I go with ATC as opposed to FWC. I also like how ATC's furnace vents are lower and blow on the floor first.

Off to FWC factory for the first time. Who knows I will probably change my mind after leaving the FWC. I guess these are good problems to have! :cool:

Well this, it turns out, is a bit more complicated than simply numbers, so I'm going to start a new thread on furnace size and let folks have a say. Please, let's get back to the other options. I would love to hear from folks.

Both will throw a ton of heat quick for the size camper. Consider buying or making an arctic pack or something of that nature if you want better winter heat. Or if you're comfortable with using one a WAVE heater will be more steady. In the cold temps these campers are going to run and cycle the heater a lot 12k or 16k. That is where I think having lower amp draw is a better idea.

Jay, please correct any errors in logic in the following, since you may have more info. :)

You will set your thermostat to the desired temp with either furnace. Assuming that both furnaces have the same current draw, I think the main difference is that the 12,000 BTU unit would have to stay on longer to reach the desired temperature. The cool-down between heater cycles would be the same (just depends on the rate of heat loss), so the 16,000 BTU unit would use less power over one heating/cooling cycle. However, the 16,000 BTU unit might cycle back on a little more frequently, because the cooling cycle would start sooner.

I currently have a 16,000 BTU unit and my main gripe is the battery draw. The Wave 3 or a lower current draw furnace would be a real bonus.

Keep us posted on your decision making process.

Isn't it fun? We all like our campers but not quite the same way. With the awning I want mine built in. I don't like taking things out and putting them up. Kinda lazy that way but I also know it will mean I use it more too. A lot of options just depend on your individual preferences.

I can't imagine the 12k btu furnace wouldn't be adequate when paired with an arctic pack but then again I don't live in Canada. You can always add a wave heater later if you need more heat. I like having both options. If its not cold enough to need to run heat at night I wind up using the factory furnace to warm things up in the morning, easier than lighting the wave. The wave is nicer to run all night but I'm still a little uncomfortable with it, I leave a lot of ventilation when its running. Under maximum cold when you want as little outside ventilation as possible I'd just run the factory heater.

I kind of wish I'd gotten the screen door but mostly bugs haven't been an big problem for me. Not enough to pay for a new door now. If I had an Alaska trip planned that might be different.

In studying the FWC web site I see no mention of a 12v compressor fridge option. Does anyone have that option from the factory? I see only the three way and I have no desire for that.

The other thing I would like to see from FWC is a new/updated web site!

In studying the FWC web site I see no mention of a 12v compressor fridge option. Does anyone have that option from the factory? I see only the three way and I have no desire for that.

The other thing I would like to see from FWC is a new/updated web site!

I agree, the website could use a bit of work!

What do folks think about the FWC rear flood light? They look like a good idea but they stick out quite a bit and I suspect they draw a lot of power.

I have the porch light and spots. I use the porch light for lighting around the doorway. I rarely ever use the spots. I'm not the kind of person to light up a whole campsite, I just use a headlamp. And yes if they aren't LED (and LED spots are expensive) they can pull quite a few amps.

We got an eagle in 2009 with most of the options. We live in the east and have not used the camper in very hot weather.

I have taken the screen door off and never used it much. It does restrict rear vision and is in the way if you have curtains
Curtains are OK but could easily be home made. A velcro attachment would have advantages over the sliding FWC model.

We have upgraded the fantastic fan to the remote control version with more speeds. The remote control helps if you are not too tall or if you want to start the fan after you have seated yourself on the porta potty.
We got our own porta potty - very important for us maybe not for everyone. In cold weather very nice. In very hot weather might be better than dancing with snakes in the night.

We have the facing dinette seats and can't image being happy with the bench system - but to each....

We are happy with the heater but have not tried wave.
We are happy with the 3 way fridge despite some hassles. The sun not only sets in the West it tends to stay there. A dc fridge with solar might be difficult out here.
But we are now installing a solar panel and a Engel (for freezing) in the back of the access cab truck. It will be useful in our trips west and we will see how it works in the east.

We made our own rear awning as it was not available from FWC at the time. Very useful in rain. (an eastern feature).
We have a hand pump water system. I feel we might waste more water with an electric pump. Have been happy with the pump.

The arctic pack is very nice but pricey. Reflex foil probably would work as well or better but would be more of a hassel. All depends on budget.

We have made very little use of the cab passthrough window but the tunnel does seem to improve airflow and noise.

We have the short over cab extension and have been happy not having to lift the extra weight. We like sleeping on a hard bed and enjoy the thin foam mattress.
But we recently bought a hand crank pole (speaker lift) - very useful when canoe lives up top. With crank the extended over cab might be good.

Get as much battery storage as you can. LED everything.

There are always improvements to be made but that is half the fun.

Back
Top Bottom