Fwc solar options

strotman

Hey, I'm looking for an easy solution for solar. I have a eagle shell and I'm only looking to power an Arb fridge and a few led lights. Im looking for advice on what solar setup to go with. Looking for something simple and easy that I can plug into the stock plugs on the camper. Either roof mounted or a travel collapsible type. I have no idea wha I'm doing here, help!

Easiest approach may be to buy a suitcase solar battery charger. This is a portable panel with a solar charge controller built in. You may need to get the Renogy MC4 to SAE 2 pin flat adapter and some extension cables to allow setting up the solar panels some distance away from the camper if you like parking in the shade. You may need to hook up the rear plug wires to your battery if not done by FWC already.

Paul

For the Eagle shell I still like a 150 watt panel on the roof. Morningstar 10L sunsaver controller (amazon) , 10 amp fuse between the controller and the battery.

My system is very basic like yours (Engel portable fridge, fan, few lights at night). Average amp draw 2-3 amps per hour.

Largest problem with portable panel is you can't deploy it when going to museums, or parking at trailheads when hiking or parking lots when traveling. Compressor fridges are running all the time. And with the heat we have been experiencing the last few years your truck fridge will run more often during the day.

We still carry a portable 60 watt when we camp in the local mountains to augment the roof panel. Most of the time we don't use it as even on rainy days the roof panel still produces enough amperage to run the fridge and charge the battery.

To view my roof panel set up click on the link below my signature. Go to "Reply page 12. # 111,115,119." for Pictures and test results.

If you do install the roof panel position it close to the rear skylight as it will make raising the roof easier.

I beg to differ around deploying a portable. I have a 160 Watt Zamp suitcase portable that I use four screw clamps to attach to my aluminum roof rack when parked hiking or traveling. I can undo the four wing nuts, plug in the extension wire and deploy it on the ground for camping within 30 seconds. Here in the PNW I like to camp under trees for shade but can easily move and tilt the solar into and facing the sun. May not be the best for maximizing solar but if you're looking for easiest- is certainly the easiest set up possible and has worked well for me for some time. All you need to know is which wire to hook up to positive and which to negative on the battery. All of the required electronics are built into the portable. Another advantage is that if you travel through any of the areas that have some of those big hail storms it will come right off of the roof and fold up and go into the camper for protection.

RC Pilot Jim said:
If you do install the roof panel position it close to the rear skylight as it will make raising the roof easier.
But not so close that the skylight will cast a shadow on the panel!

Back
Top Bottom