FWC Storage Mods

nixfwc

Here are a few storage modifications and an external table design I have incorporated into my Fleet camper. The bugs are still being worked out but so far I am pleased.
The folding table is made of bent aluminum attached with a piano hinge and supported by cables anchored to the side of the camper. It is held by 1/4 inch wing bolts. While it is too high for my wife, I find it to be quite useful as I mostly cook outside. I have a rubber gas line that attaches to the camper's propane tank. I don't have to store small bottles of propane this way. The shelf also could ad an extra degree of security as it covers the side window and could be locked at some point.
I found many bug bodies on the front of the camper after summer trips. The Fleet body seems to be wider than later mid size FWC campers. So I decided to try to rectify two problems by moving the camper back about 6 inches and building covers that hinge outward at an angle. I appreciate the extra storage room for things like propane stove, tire kit, Pett toilet, collapsible chairs, come along etc. Plus I am not finding any bug carcases on the panels. Perhaps it is helping the airflow some also. I made the panels out of translucent panels.
I cook out of the camper most of the time so keep a 2 x 4 foot folding table stored under the bed area just above the truck cab. It slides out when I need it. We often stay in spots where there are no tables so it is nice to have a large table to eat at. The tracks are just aluminum channels I found at the Restore

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 673
  • tailgatedn.jpg
    tailgatedn.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 702
  • wing.jpg
    wing.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 687
  • wingst.jpg
    wingst.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 685
  • tablerk.jpg
    tablerk.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 662
nixfwc

Gotta say, that is ingenious.

Love the side table. I was thinking of doing the same, except I wanted it removable and probably attached to the jack mounts....fold down with chain support is brilliant. I have a awning on that side, so would be nice. If you open the slider side window, it is like a little counter and you can store stuff on the shelf while parked. I like how you can cook up there.....for me under the awning and out of the rain. Also a Nice place to put the Storage boxes so they don't get wet and dirty before going back in the camper......

I was thinking of making it double hinged so that when it came down, it would be lower.....Still working on ideas before building.....Any close up photos?

I also like your little side protectors. I will have to look into this....do you get much wind noise from them at highway speeds?

Dave In seattle.

Nice.

I especially like those side wings. That's something I keep looking at. I've made a few cardboard templates thinking about something like that. I didn't think about hinging them, which is a great addition.

Have you taken it on roads which will twist the frame? One reason I'm still at the template stage is that I don't know how much gap to leave so I don't scratch the paint on my truck. Another reason to like the hinges. Come to think of it, some clear 3M tape where the wings might rub may be a good solution. It could look weird with the camper off, but it would protect the finish.

Nice mods! Did you happen to notice a change in gas mileage with those side wings?

I have not noticed ay mileage differences yet but also have not checked very closely. It does seem to cut down on the noise in the cab however. I am working on an aluminum air foil for the top of the camper which will hopefully reduce wind noise as well. I made the covers out of baltic birch 1/8 inch plywood originally but switched to translucent plastic because I like the extra light it provides in the cab. The plastic flexes ok with the bed cab contortions.I need to modify the covers so they will clear the cab rear access doors. At the moment I am just using a bungee cord between the covers to hold them closed. Works but is a bit of a pain in the ass.
I also added a trial rear deck to the camper. Extra storage room and a deck to stand on when leaving the camper. There are brackets to support a set of folding aluminum steps. I hope to have final version made of recycled aluminum diamond plate before long. I need to work out the angles as to how deep a ditch I can get through with how long a deck. Having a rear deck works great.

Attachments

• IMG_tailgate.jpg
    IMG_tailgate.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 469
Edo, maybe if the wings were made a little longer, they would rub against the glass, and not the paint?

Nix, I'm looking forward to seeing what your fairing looks like. Your hinges for the wings, did they screw into the frame or just the camper?

Nice mods, especially the tail gate, we loved ours both for entry and exit and for sipping a cold one after various activities. Will be interested to see the final product as I never got past the prototype stage.

Back
Top Bottom