FWC Stove Replacement

Durango1

Our 2018 FWC stove wasn't involved in the famous recall. But I had to pull it to repair a dropped burner tube and instead of reinstalling it I'm thinking of an upgrade. Here's my priorities:
1. Automatic "match free" lighting
2. Stronger burner strength
3. Smooth profile on the counter
4. Space for larger pots
5. Easy to turn down to a simmer (my Suburban stove easily flickers out at low flame)

This Dometic D21 seems to click all the boxes. Has anyone had any experience with it or have an alternative choice? Many thanks in advance! Steve
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-50216-2-Burner-Propane-Cooktop/dp/B085J1RSWD/ref=sr_1_3?crid=HG5BKVQA8BV&keywords=Dometic+D21&qid=1688957853&sprefix=dometic+d21%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

Ratings aren't that great on that stove and I don't know what the btu output is on the stock vs. this one. I also am not sure if it's a direct replacement or if you'll have to enlarge the cutout?

we had a similar Dometic and it fell apart in less than a year - burner tube detached, grate bent under heat. Dometic refused to replace it since it was not installed by a manufacturer. I am sure others have had a better experience, but we sure did not.

kmcintyre said:
Ratings are that great on that stove and I don't know what the btu output is on the stock vs. this one. I also am not sure if it's a direct replacement or if you'll have to enlarge the cutout?
Old stove 6000 BTU burners- this one has a 7200 BTU burner. And yes, cut out is bigger but that's not a problem.

Taku said:
we had a similar Dometic and it fell apart in less than a year - burner tube detached, grate bent under heat. Dometic refused to replace it since it was not installed by a manufacturer. I am sure others have had a better experience, but we sure did not.
Good to know. And the ratings on it are "ambivalent". But honestly, I can't find anything better/stronger. Any ideas?

I'm also kicking around (interminably) going lithium. Then I could potentially just put in an electric stove. Meanwhile, I can easily reinstall the one I have. Too many options...

We have induction as well as a CampChef Everest that we use inside and outside. Everest has 20K BTU burners AND simmers exceptionally well.

Vic I have always been curious (is it ok to ask on this thread?). Induction? doesn't't that zap the 200 watt battery fast? I use the original stove gas stovetop and it does fine. I have the Coleman 2 burner briefcase stove at our cabin it's less all around but works.

buckland said:
Vic I have always been curious (is it ok to ask on this thread?). Induction? doesn't't that zap the 200 watt battery fast? I use the original stove gas stovetop and it does fine. I have the Coleman 2 burner briefcase stove at our cabin it's less all around but works.
Yup. 200AH at 1800W draw (max ‘heat’ on the induction) = 1800/12 = 150A draw for a max of 1.3 hours. Realistically, 30 minutes. But I rarely have it on high except to boil water.

FYI, Our regular daily draw the is about 100AH according to the BMV.

Gotcha. I have experienced the rapid boil of induction...crazy fast. Haven't made the leap yet... gas both in house and camper.
Thanks for the draw spec.
Rob

For "matchless" we added a BBQ igniter to the stock FWC stove - works great. So for any stove that otherwise meets your need, just add the BBQ igniter. Takes about 20 minutes. Currently on the North shore of Haida Gwaii, so I don't have info on the details.

Jack said:
For "matchless" we added a BBQ igniter to the stock FWC stove - works great. So for any stove that otherwise meets your need, just add the BBQ igniter. Takes about 20 minutes. Currently on the North shore of Haida Gwaii, so I don't have info on the details.
Very interesting idea, Jack! Has anyone else added a BBQ igniter to a camper stove? If so, which one did you sue? (Bonus points for photos.)

Enjoy your trip, Jack!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom