Geezer pass basics

Foy

Resident Geologist
Ladies and gentlemen,

Before the end of next month I'll enjoy my 62nd birthday, on the day after a booked Gulf Stream fishing trip (so hopefully some fresh yellowfin tuna and mahi-mahi on the grill for birthday supper).

I'm familiar with an "all parks pass" and in 2007 purchased one for my then 20 son at Grand Canyon NP as we passed through on a road trip from NC to Port Hueneme, CA where he was to be based during the final year of his Navy enlistment contract. He planned to, and did, exercise his liberty days with visits to a number of southern and central CA NPs during that year.

From what those who passed this great divide before me seem to be saying is there's a different pass which provides basic entrance to all NPs, NMs, Nat Historic Sites, etc. It's lovingly called the Geezer Pass in these forums. Is the Geezer Pass more formally known as the Golden Age Pass? If not, what am I specifically looking for?

More particulars: Must it be renewed annually like I recall my son's NP pass? It applies only to basic entry fees as opposed to providing discounts for campground fees, etc, or does it do that, too? Is it strictly a "per person" pass such that my bride must wait for her 62nd next year to obtain her own?

Thanks for any inputs. We hope to exercise at least one of our passes in Big Bend NP in November, and we're angling hard for a return to MT, ID, and WY in July 2018.

Foy

Foy-

The Golden Age Passport was changed to the Senior Pass in 2007 when it switched from being a pass for National Parks to a pass for National Parks and other Federal recreational lands (BLM, Army Corps of Engineers, USGS, USFS, US Fish and Wildlife Service, etc). It (the Senior Pass) is one of the 'America the Beautiful' series of passes. It is also known as an 'Interagency Senior Pass'.

One of the confusing things about the passes is the mix of names in different contexts. Signs at Federal facilities change slowly. Therefore you may find yourself searching a pay station sign for the words 'Senior Pass' and not be able to find them. The payment envelopes at so-called 'iron rangers' (self-pay stations) may have different words than the sign telling you what passes are good. Also, we have to remember that the Golden Age Passport was/is a lifetime pass so there is actually still a reason to list it.

This USGS description of the Senior Pass is helpful. I believe it covers some of your other questions and it has links to the other America The Beautiful passes. And this USGS web page shows what the Senior Pass looks like.

Generally, the pass is good for admission (where there's an admission charge) and a 50% discount for camping but you'll want to read the link above for more details and exceptions. Also- note that services operated by concessioners often do not get the discount.

Tip: when you get your Senior Pass, they should give you a 'hangtag' for your vehicle's mirror for situations where you need to display the pass. Those are flimsy and easily torn. You may want to reinforce it. (You can get a new hangtag wherever the passes are sold)

Tip: At entrance stations, you may be asked for identification and the ranger may compare the signature on your pass to that on your driver's license.

Tip: For those of us with Senior Cards in bad condition (like me-- mine's cracked from being in my wallet so long)-- You can't exchange the card for a new one. You have to buy another. The fee for a card reportedly changes from $10 to $80 in August 2017.

Foy, Senior Pass. My wife just got one so we have a back-up. The Ranger said September 1st is the magic date when it goes from $10 to $80. No renewals. It is good for a lifetime. jd

My geezer pass is 11 years old (got at COE CG for $10.00)) and is hard to read-------so, I wrote the number down along with my lic. plate #, on the inside of my check books so that all my data is right there when I fill out the camping spot data when I check in :giggle: ----boy am I getting smart ('bout time) in my geezerhood!

Smoke

Foy congratulations on your upcoming Bday. I am about 18 months behind you but I am actually looking forward to getting mine even though it will costs $80 by then. Even at that price it's still a bargain!
BTW, the offshore fishing on the OBX is fantastic now. Bring an extra cooler or two!

Happy BD Foy...

On my 62nd, I went down to the Army Corps Of Engineers office at the Jordan Lake Dam. Get off at the Moncure exit off US 1. I seem to recall there is also a Corps office at the Falls Dam Office but I don't know where that is located. I'm in Cary.

The pass saved me a boat load of cash on my recent 3 month trip out west.

Yes I just read it on the web page. I turn 62 August 20th. Will be picking my pass up that week for sure :)

I might buy a spare before August 28th. Will keep it in the camper just incase I lose the original.

billharr said:
I might buy a spare before August 28th. Will keep it in the camper just incase I lose the original.
That's not a bad idea Bill.... cheap insurance :)

Do I still need a "Duck Stamp" or does this pass cover that? If not I will need one for this year :)

Happyjax said:
That's not a bad idea Bill.... cheap insurance :)

Do I still need a "Duck Stamp" or does this pass cover that? If not I will need one for this year :)
Jackie, the Duck Stamp option at NWRs was in lieu of Geezer Passes., so once you're a certified Geezelle (female gender for Geezer) there's no need to buy a Duck Stamp. On the other hand, Duck Stamp monies do go for waterfowl habitat...

Since I am getting a bargain on the Geezelle pass I may pick up a Duck Stamp also. I love my birds :) Orioles included even though they are having a tough year...... Go O's!

Back
Top Bottom