General Questions About Fwc

jason

Folks,

I've been a big fan of FWC for several years. However, I don't live in the West where A/C is not needed. Don't get me wrong, I love the Gulf Coast but it's HOT. I don't go 4-wheeling but I love to camp and love to go fishing. I determined a truck camper was the ideal solution several years ago. Most of my camping revolves around fishing trips. I am just getting sick of the ole tent.

1 Will I be totally unhappy with a FWC in my part of the country? Should I just get a hard-side with AC? (will need a bigger truck if FWC is not the answer)

2 Can a 2000 F150 5.4L 4x4 handle the Hawk model and tow a 3500# boat?

I really like the site and pics you folks post. Keep it up.

Jason

Welcome.

If you've looked over the site you many have seen that there are folks here who have added an A/C to their FWC and drag along a genearator/camp where they can plug in when it is needed.

My guess is that you'll need to add a set of the fabled "airbags' to yer 150. Doing so should aid in hauling the camper and the boat. Without em you'll be sagging like a 13 year old kid....LOL. (on da road with yer pants halfway down)

Some of the guys here are well-schooled on the topic. LOL.

now the problem is FINDING ONE! good luck!

mtn

Something like the Hallmark Milner has a crank assist roof lift, or even an electric lift (unless I'm confusing my campers), which allows you to put a roof top RV AC unit up there.

I think that camper, while heavier than the Hawk, would still allow you to use your current truck.

If you need, need, need A/C to camp, go hard side with a bigger truck. The FWC will just be an expensive short term diversion.

Yes, you can put an A/C in an FWC, BUT they and their requisite generators consume precious space. And the material sides of the FWC are mediocre insulators. I think my A/C is capable of generating a 20 degree differential, but it might be less.

If, on the other hand, a fan blowing on you is enough, then the FWC works.

This is my opinion.

Jason,
Your post pretty much mirrors the same questions I had been struggling with. I'm over here on the East coast of S. Florida and decided a long time ago (after I blew up my second VW camper crossing the US) that a truck camper was in my future. I particularly liked the pop up idea for its ease of handling and fuel efficiency. After pretty much giving up camping down here the 3 or 4 months of the year that it's just too darn hot to sleep outside, I sold the Westy and started to do the research on a new rig. FWC rose to the surface pretty quick as the best choice, particularly due to the fact that I realized my 05 Tundra DC 4x4 couldn't handle anything much bigger. I decided to bite the bullet and picked up a brand new Hawk 2 weeks ago from Mike at Extreme Campers up in High Point NC.

I had considered adding the small A/C but had some doubts about its efficiency with the soft sides. I went with an additional Fantastic Fan over the bed thinking if that wasn't enough I could add the A/C later, maybe with the Arctic pack for some add'l insulation. Haven't had the chance for a thorough shake down trip, but spent part of a warm evening hanging out and it seems like the breeze from the FF will make for a comfortable sleep after the sun goes down.

At Mike's suggestion, I went with the Super Springs as I plan to keep the camper on the truck. Handles great, no sag, hardley knew it was back there on the 800 mile trip home from NC to FL. Tomorrow I'm hitching up my boat (also about 3500lbs.) for a short trip to the ramp. I think the way it works is you just add the tongue weight (about 10% or 350-400 lbs.) which with the weight of the camper should keep me within the trucks limits.

I've really been enjoying the forum and will post pics as soon as I figure out how....

John

All,

Thanks for the input. I've actually done quite a bit of reading online about trucks and campers so i've heard of the air bags, springs, etc....Keep the thoughts coming. The only bad thing about where I live is there are no FWC dealers or used units anywhere close. I don't really feel like driving half way across the US to pick one up. Actually, truck campers are not even that popular down here. I really don't know why with as many fisherman as there are. It's far and away the best solution when you need to tow a boat.

John,
I live in Louisiana so I understand. We've been in the high 90s since early June with little to know wind and rain. It's been hot. I tow an 18' Ranger which my truck handles well but I would be curious to see how she behaives with a camper in the back.

I love the FWC line but I may just have to go with a hard side. I've tent camped enough and cancelled enough trips due to rain and heat and missed some good fishing. The only upside to going hardside is there seem to be more used rigs on the market. I really like the FWC though with it's simplicity. I don't need much but mainly just need a dry place to sleep and an AC when it's 90+ at 10PM (call me whatever you want). That really sucks.

Unfortunately, I am going to need more truck to haul a hardside. I may be tenting it for a while until then. I also just bought my wife a new Expedition. Maybe I am just in a mid-life crisis and need to drop some jack on a new pickup and a camper and move on.

Jason

sounds like you're a poster child for an fwc ac unit. I've always thought the ideal way is to just put a unit on a table and run a hose into the camper. Still need a generator but thats cheaper than a new truck and hardside camper.

Hi Jason and Rectx -

Thanks for bringing up your questions and bringing out the responses. I'd like to have an FWC, but with a wife and daughter they want some form of civility when it comes down to just hot days/nights. Unlike you two, I don't fight humidity but do fight temps into the lower dry 100s.

I'm working hard and hoping to use my 2008 Toyota SuperCrew with a FWC Hawk and haul my 5,000 max horse trailer while having an AC onboard with a generator stored in trailer or the FWC. I might be dreaming a bit big.

Rectx, please give us status reports as you use your unit.

Jeff

Before you get dead set on an AC unit I'd give this a hard look. A few of us here use them and are pleased with the performance.

http://www.swampy.net/camper.html

Jason,

Because of the high humidity in the Gulf Coast I suggest you keep looking at the aluminum frame campers. The wood frames don't last nearly as long under normal conditions, add water and their useful life decreases even faster. Of course if you are buying used and get a great deal, that's different.

As you probably know, a swamp cooler is going to add humidity whereas a refrigeration unit will lower humidity.

Isn't there a company in Colorado making aluminum frame pop-ups?

Enjoy,
2llamas (3 actually with one cria on the way)

We live in Houston, so we know what you are describing. We had an F-150, a Hawk, a side window A/C unit, generator, and occasionally towed a single axle trailer. Our problem was brakes, as well as springs. That problem (PLUS springs) was fixed by upgrading to an F250. Can't beat the capacity, and the mileage penalty works out to 1/2 mpg.

To see our A/C design, browse the forum.

Cry once: Get the right equipment.

Back
Top Bottom