Generator?

XJINTX

OK, probably stupid question but... :( I recently purchased a small portable generator for use... when needed... to charge or run AC and stuff on my Hawk. I have also purchased a small Trekmate trailer to pull behind to haul extra gear on our extended trips. In setting up the generator it "STATES" in the manual I must have an Earth Ground. I know most people, I see, with the small outside quiet gens just sit them on ground and plugin.

My question is could I leave it secured on my little trailer and use if I have it on trip? Is it a ground? I know bigger RV's have onboard generators but not sure if they do something special for "Earth Ground" ?

Thanks... told you I was a dummy ;)

Here is the OSHA rule:

Grounding Requirements for Portable and Vehicle-mounted Generators
Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):
  • The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cordand plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A), and
  • The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal combustion engine, and the generator’s housing) are bonded to the generator frame, and the equipment grounding conductor terminals (of the power receptacles that are a part of [mounted on] the generator) are bonded to the generator frame, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(((:cool:.
Thus, rather than connect to a grounding electrode system, such as a driven ground rod, the generator’s frame replaces the grounding electrode.
If these conditions do not exist, then a grounding electrode, such as a ground rod, is required.
If the portable generator is providing electric power to a structure by connection via a transfer switch to a structure (home, office, shop, trailer, or similar) it must be connected to a grounding electrode system, such as a driven ground rod. The transfer switch must be approved for the use and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions by a qualified electrician.

Back
Top Bottom