GMC Tailgate with Camera Removal for FWC

Bombsight

Anyone care to explain the removal of GMC tailgates with camera and its wiring?

Does wiring need to be cut or altered in any way?

Has anyone mounted the same camera onto their FWC?

Is the camera easily reusable when tailgate is replaced?

Any and all info. on this matter would be appreciated. Pics are awesome if you already have the files at hand.

Pardon me if this has been covered before. I did a quick search and found nada.

Thanks

I don't have a Chevy but an F250 with same issue. I looked at removing my tailgate camera from the tailgate. Not an easy task but not impossible. Then I could mount elsewhere. I will have FWC out and stored in shop when truck bed is needed.
Then I started looking at aftermarket cameras that would just connect to current wiring harness... could not find.
Finally for the price of just the OEM camera I bought a 3.5 in display with wired front camera and wireless rear camera on Amazon.

My truck only had display in rearview mirror... pretty small. So this is a plus for me, relatively cheap and I can see in front when necessary. Another plus is I have camera when not in reverse... my truck only activates the onboard camera when in reverse. I tow so this helps :)

On my 2015 Silverado, it just unplugs and feeds through the center hole in the truck at the rear bottom. I back the truck up the slight incline on my driveway and stop just before the back levels off. Gives good visibility that way. The plug socket is visible at the left side rear, right next to and partially blocked by the spare tire. If you have trouble, drop down the spare a few feet; it's good practice to learn how to do it. It's easy. Mark the socket you removed it from. I used nail polish. It was the 3d from the left side on my truck, as I recall. Plug the aftermarket one into the same socket. One challenge is whether to mount the aftermarket camera on the truck, usually at the license plate, or on the camper.
If you put it on the truck, it's very simple to just swap connections under the truck at the plug area. The disadvantage is that the camera is pretty vulnerable if you use the truck for other stuff. You may end up kicking it. If you mount it on the camper you will have to unplug it from the sockets near the spare tire and, if you do what I did, also unplug the camera from it's own cable in order to avoid having to reattach and secure the longish cable that comes with the aftermarket camera. Just keep the long aftermarket cable zip tied under the truck. It is a little bit of a hassle, but having a camera is IMHO really important.

If you have any open plugs or sockets when swapping between tailgate camera and extra camera, it is a very good idea to find a means to cover and seal the connectors to keep them clean. My 2010 Tundra came with covers for use when tailgate is removed. Look at surfaces around the connectors and think how well the connectors will work if filled with road crud.

Paul

Bombsight You did not say which what year GMC you have and it matters as different years have different plugs on the cameras. In November(2015) a year and a half after the release of the 2015s the after market caught up and now you can buy plug and play cameras for that year. 2016 is not a makeover year and this camera will probably fit that year when released also. https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2015-sierra-silverado-plug-play-camper-camera-kit-mini-universal-cam.html

This camera is the way I would go today. Before it was available I took apart my tailgate, not hard on the inside of the tailgate is a assess panel that is about 1 foot by 4 foot the panel is held on by 8 or 10 of those star screws. Big access, easy to get inside. I removed the camera and mounted it to the overhang of my hawk on the bottom.Plug it in and a little adjustment of the direction it points and it works great.

However getting to plug and fishing the wire is tight. I find I have to lower the spare to get it done. If you mount your camera to your license plate with a bracket once and you are done. One less step to mount or remove your camper.

See this thread http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7207-back-up-camera-thread/page-6
my post it #55 it has a couple pf pictures of the camera and my mount.

Big thanks everyone!
I'm buying a 2016 GMC 3500HD Denali and mounting a Hawk in June. I was thinking ahead and didn't want any suprises.

You guys make life a little less stressful. ;)

Cant wait to ACTUALLY be a part of this family ....

Attachments

• 12573214_10204592597049600_5054558817805297760_n.jpg
    12573214_10204592597049600_5054558817805297760_n.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 281
One think you might want to think about...I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD. It has 18 inch wheels. Maybe the Denali has 20"? The more rubber the better with these trucks. The unloaded ride can be pretty harsh if your local streets are rough like mine.

We have a '15 Sierra 3500. I took ours out of the tailgate in about 15 min. If I remember, I'll post pics of how I mounted it to the camper tomorrow. It's as straightforward as it looks. Just keep taking out screws til you can remove the whole assembly from the inside of the tailgate. I was worried if I tried to remove just the camera it would lose it's weatherproofing, plus, having the extra assembly gave me something to mount it with.

I leave it on the camper full time and just unplug it when I take out the 7pin. Didn't really see the need for it without the camper.

I have a 2013 Chevy 3500 HD. I purchased an additional camera from CubbyCam (http://www.cubbycam.com/store/). They fit OEM connectors to various camera solutions for GM & Chevy products. My extra camera is mounted in a license plate frame.

dasadab said:
One think you might want to think about...I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD. It has 18 inch wheels. Maybe the Denali has 20"? The more rubber the better with these trucks. The unloaded ride can be pretty harsh if your local streets are rough like mine.
I have 20"s on mine - I WISH I had 18"s

Got a 2016 Colorado and want to install a camera (leaving the one in the tailgate) underneath as shown in this great string. Has anyone done this with the Colorado? Want to be sure the camera is compatible. I found this on Ebay.... seems like the right one? Nevertheless... if this is unknown territory... any ideas appreciated. BTW there is a simple plug behind the license plate that one needs to just plug in and go after the tailgate is off. Just trying to find a the cheapest camera that works.

Attachments

• Camera.jpg
    Camera.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 157
I think they all feed the same video format, so you should be ok. But its hard to know for sure these days. Lots of formats out there today. But most of the small micro cameras all use the same format.

Thanks, There is also a 'rough' OEM unit with plug... thinking I could make a housing... it's really the plug I am after ... I hate to solder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 9.10.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 9.10.46 AM.png
    435.9 KB · Views: 137
I made a discovery that has helped me. I used to have to lower the spare tire whenever taking my tailgate on or off to plug or unplug the backup camera.

If you remove the license plate you will find a large access panel allowing easy access to fish the wire around the spare. No more need to lower the spare. If I had only known earlier.

Back
Top Bottom