GMC TPMS (Standard or not?)

Bombsight

Trying to find out if the GMC 3500HD Sierra Denali comes with Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

According to some info. on the internet, the U.S. Federal Regulations require that new cars and light trucks be equipped with TPMS starting in 2008. Other rumors are that the 3500's don't come with TPMs ... but for some reason, the 2500's do. :oops:

When installing some Toyo 35x12.50 tires on some Hostile Gauntlet rims, I learned that my 2016 Denali had no TPMs.

Any knowledge of this subject out there?

Overall opinions about TPMS is appreciated as well.

According to the NHTSA website, the TPMS requirement applies to vehicles with GVWR of 10,000 lbs or less. My 2500HD has a GVWR of 9500 and has TPMS. I would expect your 3500 to have a GVWR in excess of 10,000 and hence no TPMS.

When I switched from a 2500 Chevy to a 3500 Chevy I lost the tire pressure monitor system too. I asked my dealer about adding it on and they told me they did not have a kit for the 1 tons to do that.
The dealer told me the same thing about the GVWR that PJorgen stated too.

My 06 Tundra has TPMS with after market 18" wheels. The non-OEM 18" spare does not have a sensor. I put some black electric tape over my dash so I don't have to look at the warning light. I prefer to not have another sensor and use my judgement and a tire gauge instead.

Wife's previous car had a TPMS that was always crying wolf. Dealership couldn't find the problem. We eventually learned to ignore it. IMHO there is nothing worse a warning system can do than to teach you to ignore it.

I'm with Lighthawk, educated observation and a gauge go a long way.

Back
Top Bottom