Going to the Sun Road

John D

Glacier National Park lies on the route from Alaska, Yukon, and Banff. Going to the Sun Road is a very interesting drive with campgrounds. It is a good place to visit in your FWC/ATC on your way home. Pictured are two classic Red Busses called “Jammers” and a classic camper called a “Keystone.” The National Park Service regulations say vehicles over 21 feet in length, including the bumpers, are prohibited on the Going to the Sun Road. All the vehicles pictured went over the road. Which are longer than 21 feet?

John D

Attachments

• Going to the Sun Road.jpg
    Going to the Sun Road.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 366
A great place John D.

I love the scenery on the GTSR, hate the traffic. Still it's worthy of a trip to see. My last visit was in August of '06, just days after a 30,000 acre fire went through the east side of Glacier NP. My pics were all hazey from the smoke but I did get a few, even some of the Jammers.

Montana+053.jpg

Montana+026.jpg

Montana+030.jpg

Montana+096.jpg

John D.
Nice rig you have there, sitting between the two buses. I hope to make the trip this year.

Kcowyo, Great photos. Thanks.

It was even more smokey in September 2007. Our campers are ideal for expeditions, such as long sight seeing trips. It is not readily apparent to many Americans that Glacier National Park is connected to a chain of beautiful Canadian parks to the north. They are highly recommended. With 5 dollar a gallon fuel in Canada, light efficient RVs are almost a necessity.

Attachments

• Glacier September Smoke.jpg
    Glacier September Smoke.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 321
  • Glacier Glacier.jpg
    Glacier Glacier.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 316
just make sure to have either your pass ports or like we did, we forgot our daughters birth certificates, the guy at the border would let us across, but told us that we would have a hard time coming back across...that was back in '06 though....

I was there in June 2007. Near the beginning of Going to the Sun Road on the west side of the park you can take a short hike through a temperate rainforest. Only a few miles from here you are in alpine tundra.

Attachments

• 2225322070_7620b4aa74_o.jpg
    2225322070_7620b4aa74_o.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 288
Another view from the road: A typical glacier carved U-shaped valley. Its the landscape carved by huge ancient glaciers that gives the park its name rather than the little glaciers still found at high altitudes today.

Attachments

• 2225322218_f79eb7b458_o.jpg
    2225322218_f79eb7b458_o.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 268
great pics everyone...that is an amazing zone! there is a pretty cool music fest up there late in the summer called babbfest...its in...you guessed it...babb, mt. nice to hit that, free camping, beer, etc. then the gtts road on the way! thanks for posting!

Did that with the family back when I was about eleven. I"ve been wanting to do a oregon, washington, idaho, montana, nevada loop for a long time. I'll have to include Glacier on that.

Back
Top Bottom