Grandby on a short bed '07+ Tundra dbl cab

longshanks

Does anybody on this forum have a Grandby on a doublecab 07+ Tundra with the 6.5' bed? I've been looking for photos of this setup but haven't yet come across anything. We only use our '03 Grandby shell a few times a year, and it weighs around 900lbs fully loaded. I've read online about people (over)loading the newer Tundras with 9' 2400lb campers, and they claim that the Tundra handles it just fine... I know that a long-bed truck would be the best match for my camper, but before I go that route I am wondering if a Tundra (which I'd actually like to own and drive) might work?

I've carefully considered my options, and I'm aware of the legal payload of various trucks. The Tundra has a good motor and transmission, they have a good reputation around here for durability, and the doublecab configuration works well for our family. I need a truck that is good for driving bush roads with and without the camper, as well as a civilized daily driver.

thoughts?

hmmm... Has nobody tried this before? I think I'd like the shorter wheelbase of the 6.5' box better than the long box truck -- better for turning, parking, off-roading and easier to find used around here. However, what I don't want to do is buy the SB truck and then after driving it for a year or two, wish that I'd bought the long box.

hmmm... Has nobody tried this before? I think I'd like the shorter wheelbase of the 6.5' box better than the long box truck -- better for turning, parking, off-roading and easier to find used around here. However, what I don't want to do is buy the SB truck and then after driving it for a year or two, wish that I'd bought the long box.

Can't believe you never got a response to this. I had a 04 Tundra double cab (6.5ft bed) with a Hawk. I felt I needed and put on airbags even with the Hawk to level the truck and have saver handling. I don't know what you might have done by now. But I think the question you should be asking is the payload of the different trucks. Don't know what they are for the different beds, might not be much different.

You might try contacting 4 wheel camper. Find the measurements for the center of gravity. Since it is designed for an 8' box it could put the COG behind your rear axle which could cause handling problems.

I carried an 8' Northstar pop up on my 6.5' bed but I have an F250 and had no ill effects.

I think the grandby would be ok on a Tundra if you travelled very light, and if you set up your truck with anti-sway bar, airbags, tires, etc... I've put some thought into this and decided that I'd like to go to a 3/4 ton Ford because I want a short box truck, and the CoG on the Grandby will be 2-3" behind the rear axle. As Silvertip says, this CoG issue should be less of a concern with a heavier truck than it would with a half ton. Also, I will occasionally tow my 2500lb boat in addition to the camper. With all this payload, I am pretty sure that I'd have to make several modifications to any half ton truck to make it work, and I'd still exceed legal payload ratings. Based on the amount I drive I don't expect that I'll pay much more for my annual gas bill. I am eyeing up the 2011+ F250s with the 6.2 motor.

Back
Top Bottom